Clutches of Eggs in ONE DAY!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BlackRock13, Oct 23, 2013.

1. BlackRock13

BlackRock13 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    I have 5 hens and 1 Rooster.

Today I woke up to open the chickens and found 1 egg like I normally do. I came back from work at about 4pm and found 5 eggs!
    Great news cause I know its possible that rarely a chicken can lay 2 eggs in one day but this is what puzzled me...
    1 hen is too young to lay...
    [​IMG]

Yesterday the chickens didn't lay because of the rain but its sunny today so did 2 chickens lay an extra egg or was it my rooster?

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    It is possible that a hen can lay two eggs in one day, but rare. I would hope it wasn't your rooster, though I suppose it could be a possibility as well if he's not a rooster. Hens can crow in the absence of a rooster, are you positive he's a he?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. BlackRock13

Aug 13, 2013
    Yes,
    [​IMG]

4. CourtsCacklers

CourtsCacklers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Northern Ohio
    My Coop
    I am pretty new to this chicken thing too-- though I have been a farm girl my entire life. First of all-- we have 6 hens and they lay all different times of the day. Occassionally we will have less one day and then extras the next day...I chalked it up to their bodies not being on a regular schedule for laying since they are just now 7 months old....

5. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    Well, He is a HE! so you must have a lucky two egg hen! Congrats!

6. BlackRock13

Aug 13, 2013
    Good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by