C'mon Guineas, Hatch! .. **update w/ pix**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SterlingAcres, Aug 26, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I woke up this morning to a fairly large pip. Actually, the whole side of the shell is cracked like a 7. My temps sitting at 99.7 and humidity is around 50%. They're a few days late, which I sort of expected from that outlet crash we had. I'd just about given up on them. Sheesh, do eggs surprise you or what? [​IMG]

Now I just wish they'd hurry up because I have to get the upstairs walkin cleaned out and move the bator and brooder there. The kids mess with stuff too much in my living room and my closet is way more controllable. [​IMG]

C'mon babies, hatch!! The pip isn't any bigger than it was at 8 this morning... so who knows. ::sigh::

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    What are they doing....don't they know that today is their birthday?! Get out chickies! [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG] another pip! They're slow, but definitely moving and chirping!! [​IMG]

4. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Okay, that first pip hadn't moved at all for over 12 hours, so I peeled the pip back and popped a pinhole in the dry membrane, it's zipping now. I'm glad it didn't die in there.
    #2 pip is still the same.

5. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Oooh another pip! Go figure, they'll all be hatching while I'm gone tomorrow!!! [​IMG]

6. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    1st keet out, 2nd zipping. [​IMG] They're hatching really dry though... this dang hydrometer can't be reading right.

7. JoMarie

JoMarie New Egg

Nov 17, 2007
    Some times you have to help the guineas hatch because there shell is so thick!!!

8. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

How many do you have now?!?!? I am glad that you have some guineas now!! Just wait for them to start calling. My friend and I say they sound like a rusty swing. [​IMG] LOL

9. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've got 4 keets out, 3 more pips. These shells are TOUGH as heck!! Very thick!

Here they are:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  10. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    3 more babies are out. 1 egg is still good, no pip though. I can see it moving in there... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by