1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CNN Says: "Holiday Shopping Not For Chickens" (pictures)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BigSkyChickens, Nov 24, 2009.

1. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Of course I clicked on the story, thinking it was really "chicken-related" [​IMG] HAHA.

The chickens have no Holiday shopping plans. This year: all gifts will be foraged or hand-made out of pooh!

And since threads are more fun with picutres, here are the girls:

[​IMG]
    Buffy the Bug Slayer
    [​IMG]
    Mademoiselle Cordon Bleu
    [​IMG]
    Gobbles the Explorer says Happy Thanksgiving!
    [​IMG]
    Our Blue Wyandotte, Tammy Wynette. She's so manly looking we call her "Tam the Man".

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    And since threads are more fun with picutres, here are the girls:

Haha yea thats for sure!

3. Aniwani26

Aniwani26 New Egg

Nov 19, 2009
    Gizzy
    Just wondering how it is that you manage to keep 100+ chickens and they look so healthy.

I only have 3 (live in town) and they are spoilt rotton, and they are gorgeous. But 1 has just come down sick and I don't know what is wrong with her, but noticed that she had lice egg sacks around her bum, despite the fact that I have powdered everything.

I am new to the chicken thing, but are they supposed to have vitaming supplements or other medications other than when they are sick??? I wormed them yesterday, is there anything else I should be doing for them. I have looked up sooooo many sites and they don't tell you these things..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Make sure she is eating and drinking first and foremost. Get a good powder and dust her, the coop, around the coop everything...change all of the bedding. You may want to add some vitamins to her water...they come in a powder and can be purchased at the feed store. Also, make sure you offer her plain yogurt...everyone gets some in about 10 days after worming. That will put the good stuff back in them. Or you can use probiotics which you can get at the feed store also.

Do a search here for lice infestation, there is some good info on the forums here.

Good luck with them.

5. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Aniwani26,
    Sorry you're having trouble with one of your girls. You might need to dust twice, because the powder kills the lice, but not the eggs.
    Good luck, hope your chicken's feeling better soon! [​IMG]

6. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    with 100+ chickens ...well we have our ups and downs like right now its got cold real fast and a few developed colds so im working on that right now... but its fun i guess i could say 100 just isnt enough [​IMG]

lol i hope to get more in the spring [​IMG]

7. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    BAHAHAA! Buffy the bug-slayer! I love that! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Beautiful hens by the way! [​IMG]

8. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Alana and I visited BigSkyChickens' place a week ago and we LOVED it! Totally beautiful over there and her chickens have it really good!

BTW, we never saw your buff come out to play... she must have been hiding.

Alana fell in love with Gobbles the Explorer and her curled toes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by