Co-Habiting? Do Your Guineas Eat Your Chicken Eggs?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by babalubird, Apr 1, 2011.

1. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Hi. Thanks everyone for answering my question about clipping guinea wings. But that just leads to more questions. :0)

I saw a Youtube where the guy said he had to take the guineas out of his chicken hen house because they were eating the chicken eggs. Argh! We want the guineas for bug and MOUSE control in the hen house if possible. But we plan to sell eggs so their eating the chicken eggs could be a big dip in the profits. Does everyone else have this same problem with guineas?

Thanks.

Connie

2. Domes Farm

Domes Farm Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    SE WI
    I have a few quinea hens in with my chickens and have not had a problem. The guinea hen actually lays her eggs in the nesting boxes along with the chickens. I have also watched my guineas catch and eat a mouse every now and then too.

3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i robbed a guinea nest and replaced the eggs with chicken eggs and they ate them. they dont bother the eggs in the coop just in there private laying spot

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Guinea fowl are inquisitive, high energy birds and under the right/wrong conditions they are capable of all sorts of mayhem. I love them, but they can be a true aggravation. It all becomes worthwhile when they are popped into the oven.[​IMG]

5. shamblescross

shamblescross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My guineas and chickens are all in the same coop, and I haven't had a problem with guineas eating the eggs. Of course, none of my birds lay their eggs in normal spots (I found one today in the feeding trough), so no one has territorial issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by