Co-Habiting? Do Your Guineas Eat Your Chicken Eggs?

babalubird

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Hi. Thanks everyone for answering my question about clipping guinea wings. But that just leads to more questions. :0)

I saw a Youtube where the guy said he had to take the guineas out of his chicken hen house because they were eating the chicken eggs. Argh! We want the guineas for bug and MOUSE control in the hen house if possible. But we plan to sell eggs so their eating the chicken eggs could be a big dip in the profits. Does everyone else have this same problem with guineas?

Thanks.

Connie

I have a few quinea hens in with my chickens and have not had a problem. The guinea hen actually lays her eggs in the nesting boxes along with the chickens. I have also watched my guineas catch and eat a mouse every now and then too.

i robbed a guinea nest and replaced the eggs with chicken eggs and they ate them. they dont bother the eggs in the coop just in there private laying spot

Guinea fowl are inquisitive, high energy birds and under the right/wrong conditions they are capable of all sorts of mayhem. I love them, but they can be a true aggravation. It all becomes worthwhile when they are popped into the oven.
droolin.gif

My guineas and chickens are all in the same coop, and I haven't had a problem with guineas eating the eggs. Of course, none of my birds lay their eggs in normal spots (I found one today in the feeding trough), so no one has territorial issues.

Back
Top Bottom