1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I have a friend who wants to get two cockatiels and two chickens as pets.

She has a HUGE cage. It is about 6' wide 6' high and 4' deep.

She said she is thinking of having the birds share a cage. I think chickens are a little dirty to have indoors, but she does not. Can she do this?? It never occurred to me, but I would think they would fight for dominance..... Wouldn't they??

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I wouldn't do it. Would be better just to get the cockatiels. I have no idea how they would get along though I have seen my chickens really go after the sparrows and starlings in my barn if they come to close. They have occasionally killed smaller birds.

And that's not a very big space for two chickens to be confined in all the time. Besides that chickens really do love to scratch around in the dirt, dust bath, sun bath, just be chickens. Is she planning on an outside run for them at all? Has she owned chickens before?

3. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    i would NOT house the teisl with the chickens...
    firstly dietary needs are completly different...
    secondly teils are dusty and it can cause respitory problems in other bird species...
    id also be worried about the dust in dried chicken poop agrivating the teils.

not to mention the chickens would be constantly covered in teil poop.

besides, chickens are known to kill smaller birds a chicken could easily kill a teil.

side note 6' x 6' x 4' is just about big enough for 2 teils to be realy happy (lots of toys and branches) however not a good set up for a chicken.

if she wants to have a nice aviary, put the chickens outside and get a couple of button quail, some nice finches and canary, mabe even a diamond dove pair and enjoy...
    or dedicate the cage to a teil or 2...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by