1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

'co-mingling' advice needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Madcap621, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    OK, Here is the quandary. How do I combine a 'flock' of bantams ov different breeds when 2 are 2 1/2 months older than the others?

I brought home 6 chix in mid October. Of the 6, 4 are Bantams - OEGBs [1 a BBR roo] and a Cochin and 2 standard - RIR & WCBP, both roos. I will take the WCBP back to the breeder as he only has 1 old roo and the hatch was to replace/replenish his stock. The RIR & bbr-OEGB roo will go to two little country boys for CHRISTmas [​IMG] + one of the OEGB pullets, which will leave me with 2 Bantam pullets. My cousin put a clutch of bantam eggs in the 'bator on the 9th so I will have day old peeps to try again with to bring home from MD on New Years.

These will, of course, be in the house, in the brooder until well feathered [5-6 weeks --Mid Feb.]. The older ones are in their temporary coop on the porch. I want to combine them there, as I ope to have the outdoor tractor coop ready for them to start 'gardening' my raised beds by late March/early April.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Waiting with baited breath! [​IMG]

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

There is some good advice on this page from the learning pages. Go about 3/4 down the page to "particular senarios." This is how my friend did it succesfully.

Adding New Chickens to Your Flock

3. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks! [​IMG] Very informative. Looks like my best bet will be to move everybody to the outside coop when it's ready in March. the "old " pullets [1 OEGB, 1 Cochin] will be 5-6 months old, the new ones [assorted bantams, no roos] will be about 3 months. I can set up adjoining 'porch coops' when the new babies are 5 weeks old, and use the 'see but don't touch' method for a month or so. [​IMG] I LOVE it when a plan comes together! [​IMG]

4. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I have successfully combined 3 groups that way. I only had to do the see and don't touch method for about 2 weeks. Then they got to free range together. The big girls chased them some over the food but only for a few minutes and really only one of them does the chasing. I throw something light at her and change her focus she quickly forgets. I have 2 -9 mo. olds 1-7mo old and 2-5mo olds. They all are together now day and night with no problems. Every now and then the head momma chases the 3 younger for a minute but she doesn't hurt them. She just let's them know who is boss. When they first roosted together at night she would not let them get on the roosting bar. For the last 2 wks everybody roosts together. No pecking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by