CO/NE/KS Anyone?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tktagalongtek, Apr 28, 2008.

1. tktagalongtek

tktagalongtek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    No, I'm not kidding--I might as well live in a whole new state called "Colonebraskansas" as I live in Colorado, but am a whole 6 miles from Nebraska and 7 miles from Kansas.

Can't ever get a decent weather forcast, have better luck just looking out the window. [​IMG]

It's hot in the summer--normal to get 100 in the shade--and not too cold in the winter--lowest it got here this winter was -20 without the windchill. Now that's not a real scientific reading--just what the thermometer outside said when I trecked through the snow to read it after a typical sideways snow storm.

I'm a Colorado native--spent all my life in the Eastern half of the state, grew up in the South East corner, lived in the North East corner for the past 14 years.

What else do I have on our "hobby" farm? Well, there's me, my husband, and the kids--for a few more months as the last one will be leaving for school soon, one dog (a rottweiler/black lab mix, and as soon as they are delivered I'll have 15 chicks--5 each of RIR, White Leghorn and Barred Rock. Now as for wild critters --I've got a HUGE owl, lots of squirels, song birds galor, a porcupine, about 20 white tail deer, a flock of turkeys, at least 2 racoons, an opossum or two, one skunk (first I've seen since moving out here over a year ago) and too many coyotes. I know, you're all wondering what the heck I'm doing getting chickens with all those critters running around....well, I invested in good fence wire to keep the critters out of the coop and run and as soon as I figure out what to cover the run with I'll do that too. I've also added motion sensing lighting to help keep the critters at bay (not turning it on till the chicks are big enough to go into the coop) and I'll probably get another sprinkler with the motion sensor on it to add to the area around the coop over the summer too--I use it now to keep the critters (4 and 2 legged) out of the garden--works great on everything except the bullsnakes. I'll keep the girls inside the coop at night and won't let them free range unless I'm out in the yard. [​IMG]

2. AnSfarms

AnSfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Nebraska
    Hey TK,

Good to meet you. I am nearly the entire state on Nebraska away from you in the Southeast corner 30 miles from Missouri, Iowa, and 10 miles from Kansas!! Same weather, more trees and a bit more rolling plains with a bunch of entrenched creeks and rivers.

I raise some large fowl and a whole lot of bantams. My LF consist of Buckeyes, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, and Salmon Faverolles.

My bantam are maily silkies and wyandottes, both of too many colors and not enough space!! Also have Bantam Salmon Faverolles.

How does your dog do with chickens? I have 2 labs and they don't even sniff them anymore. Did for a while but did not chase, then with training they are my best predator defense. Even yesterday I saw a 8 lb. BLR roo standing on my yellow labs side as she lay in the garage!! I should have taken a picture.

There are a few more Nebraskans, mostly in the eastern half, but I think there are a few out around North Platte on here.

3. geoaware

geoaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi Guys....we are much closer to Denver (soon to be a suburb with the urban sprawl)....but thik of all you even further out on the plains during tornado season.

Keep safe...and keep them chickens happy!

Gary

4. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Where are you at in Colorado? Are you in like Sedgwick County? You are closer to me than anyone I think here in Colorado...which amazes me actually, LOL. No one is out HERE. [​IMG]

and

AnSfarms, I have seen your Silkies (some on Eggbid) and they are gorgeous! Do you still have a website? I have tried to view it and cannot get it to work.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  5. catnip

catnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hi! I'm in the central Nebraska area. So, we're probably a four hour drive from where you are.

The husband and I live in town at this moment. We're hoping to find an acreage within the next year within commuting distance from where we work.

We're lucky to live on a one acre lot, but we are limited by city code as to how many animals we can have. Apparently where we live, 4 hens = one large animal such as a horse or llama. And it's one large animal per acre of ground. So, we're rebels and have two American Buff geese, soon to have five chickens, and have a dog and three cats besides. So, no sheep to "mow" the 1/2 acre of the lot we don't use right now. Plus taxes in this county are horrible, so we are hoping to be able to move soon.

Glad to know there are other BYC members in the great plains area. [​IMG]

6. Elise

Elise Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2008
    Hey Gary, you guys are really close to me! My husband and I both grew up in the Boulder area, but have found that it's quieter and less crowed just a little bit east.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by