Co-op direction

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aklickner, Mar 2, 2017.

1. aklickner

aklickner New Egg

Mar 2, 2017
    So we've always heard that the coop has to face south for the girls to lay. We started our girls that way, but we are wanting to relocate our co-op. Doing so would change the coop to face east. Do you think this will be a problem??

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've always argued against facing it south. I don't for the life of me know why people suggest that.
    I guess it depends on where one lives.

South facing windows do no good unless the chickens never come outside.

East facing windows catch the morning sun. South facing windows have no effect when the chickens are already outside.
    If the windows face south the building will heat up more in summer. I guess people think it will help in winter.
    It will have no positive effect at 4 AM on January 15. It will be the same temp inside as out.
    It will have a negative effect at 4 PM on July 15 if it isn't shaded. It will be much hotter inside than out and hold that heat into the evening.

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Our coop walk-out door faces the west, the pop door to the run is on the east side, there are windows on the north & south sides. The coop & run are both shaded in the summer.

We didn't plan it that way as it was a shed we repurposed. It works fine for the hens.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not true.

1 person likes this.
  5. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Assuming you have a window on the side facing east, they should get the earliest morning light. We have a window on that side and are happy with it.

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    It should face whichever direction makes sense in your location. I have my coop facing north with the one solid wall pointed south. Where I live our windstorms almost always come from the south and that's mainly what I wanted to block.

7. ScottandSam

ScottandSam Still learning Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Is not a woods style coop faced to the south, southwest. But that is cause of its design.

Scott

8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, facing south can have a solar gain advantage,
    but it's not one of the 2 critical aspects of the Woods design,
    which are width/depth proportion and closed openings in winter for 'air cushion' function.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  10. RPClark

RPClark Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2016
    Southwest Iowa
    This^^^

My coop has a southwest facing window and the main door faces northeast. The exit to the run is facing southeast while the vents are one the northwest and southeast gables. The coop is out in the open, and our place is windy most of the time. The worst of the sustained winds are during winter storms; the north and northwest winds are usually the worst.

I'm glad nobody told my hens they can't lay unless the coop faces south. I might have missed out on eggs at breakfast this morning. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by