1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Co-op?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by the Pollo Loco, Jul 11, 2011.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Is anyone involved in a chicken cooperative? Kind of like a community garden... If so... how,what., when, where? tell us your experiences good/bad. [​IMG]

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I would like to know how to start one. [​IMG]

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    No but its a good idea. Im starting a CSA and already have people wanting to join. I could add a co-op with no probs.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    We had a discussion about CSA at our last homeowners association meeting. I mentioned a chicken cooperative and much to my surprise most of our subdivision was interested in both. One of my neighbors has started building chicken tractors (really nice ones at that) out of whatever scraps the subdivision has donated. Another neighbor and myself have agreed to donate chicks next spring to those who were interested in having a backyard flock. That's as far as we've gotten though......if anyone else has any great ideas that would be awesome! I'm subscribing to this thread [​IMG]

Edited to add: we've agreed to split responsibilities between the garden and the birds. So those of us that are chickening will trade eggs and meat for produce from those who are involved with the garden. At least that's kind of the general idea so far. I'm sure there will be some tweaking here and there.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  5. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by