Coachella Valley, California

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Kriquit, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Kriquit

Kriquit Out Of The Brooder

Hi peeps! I'm a new BYChickener and I'm wondering if there are some others on here that live in the Coachella Valley? Let's talk chicken!

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hey, welcome----

I used to live in Desert Hot Springs....what a beautiful valley. (Live far far away now---but wanted to say 'Hi".

3. Kriquit

Hi ChicKat,
    Thanks and hello :) So where is "far away"?
    Cheers!

4. ChicKat

Now I'm in South Texas.

My chickens suffer from the summer heat here...we get into triple digits most of the summer...100-105 for the most part last summer, but it was dry (drought) and the nights cooled down.

I think it is so great you are getting in touch with other desert dwellers, because they will have know-how to beat the heat. In the time I have been on BYC, I think I have seen a couple members in that general area. What is the marine base on the other side of Joshua Tree? - and maybe even some to the south. -- IF you don't get instant replys --so many messages flood on to BYC that they get buried fast.
    There is a where-am-I-where-are-you section..... you may be able to find some folks there. Mainly -- keep trying to locate neighbors...and don't get discouraged. :O)

5. Kriquit

Thanks for the words of encouragement ChicKat! I only have 3 chickens, so I guess if it ever gets too hot, I can keep them inside for a bit. Thanks for taking the time to respond ;)
    Cheers!

6. ChicKat

kriquit--

Not last year, but the summer before, it got up to 115 here. I did just what you said...I put my chickens in pet carriers and took them into air conditioning. I have a chart posted about chickens and heat (heat stroke) I will come back and put in a link. Three is a good number...and it was exactly three that I had at that time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/charts-and-quotes - good article there too...

2011- I put gallon milk jugs in the freezer and tried everything, fans etc. etc. etc. -- But 2012 summer, not quite as hot and used a water sprinkler.

Plan for ways your chickens can 'wade' in little kitty litter pans, maybe wet down the run -- make sure that they have good DEEP shade. and check with other chicken owners near you...... good luck....

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  7. Kriquit

Thanks for all the info! It will definitely come in handy when temps begin to rise again next summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by