1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coaching eye infection???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicklynn22, Jun 19, 2016.

1. chicklynn22

chicklynn22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2016
    Help! Our cochins eye seems to be infected. Can anyone tell me what this could be from? Or how to help her? It doesn't seem to be bothering her but it looks so sore . I've attached a picture of the bad one and one of the good one. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. chicklynn22

Mar 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. chicklynn22

Mar 27, 2016
    Here is the bad eye. [​IMG]

4. chicklynn22

Mar 27, 2016
    Eye worm?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you seen her being pecked, or has there been any sneezing, gasping, runny noses, or eye drainage in your birds? Respiratory diseases can cause eye and facial swelling, but peck wounds, eye infections, or stings from insects may also cause this. Is she eating, sleepy, or sick? Is there any bad odor?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  6. chicklynn22

Mar 27, 2016
    I haven't seen her being pecked. No respiratory issues from what I've seen. No odor. She seems perfectly fine except for this. And it seemed to just appear overnight. I thought it was a bug bite at first. Then I saw pictures of eye worms. Still not sure if it is or isn't. I thought I'd try some vet rx.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not able to see your pictures for some reason. What climate are you in? Eye worm is pretty rare, and there are some bogus videos online about people squeezing them out of eyes, when actually they are just removing pus from the eye due to eye infections or respiratory disease. Vet RX is just some herbal oils--rosemary, oregano, pine, and camphor oils, and it won't cure eye worm or an infection. Eye worm has to be removed by a vet under anesthesia, or by giving Valbazen orally and into the eye. I would clean her eye with saline, and use some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Polysporin twice a day.

8. chicklynn22

Mar 27, 2016
    We're in Eastern PA.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  10. chicklynn22

Mar 27, 2016
    It's actually looking better. I'm wondering if she just got pecked by one of the other chickens. Thanks for the links and responses. I'll keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by