Coal ashes and chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Unclebean, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    My grandfathers neighbor spreads coal ashes in his chicken run. He claims it helps keep the eggs shells hard. Anyone else hear anything like this? Is this safe?

2. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:They will pick through and eat bits of it. Lots on minerals and some calcium.
    ANd yes its safe.

We pile it in the front of their run so they can dust bath in the winter. Lots of happy chicken noises in our coop when we give them fresh ashes.

Just be sure it is only wood ash though. No garbage.

3. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    Aww, how fun! I will tell dh to send some over the gals way!

4. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Quote:They will pick through and eat bits of it. Lots on minerals and some calcium.
    ANd yes its safe.

We pile it in the front of their run so they can dust bath in the winter. Lots of happy chicken noises in our coop when we give them fresh ashes.

Just be sure it is only wood ash though. No garbage.

This guy isn't using wood ash he is using ash from burning coal. Is that still safe?

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Coal fly has a lot of toxins in it. I don't think I would use it. Do a Google search on "coal fly" and be prepared to be horrified. Dangerous stuff.

ETA- My dad burned coal when I was a kid and the ash was a menace to deal with. Nothing would grow where you dumped it. You couldn't walk on it with bare feet unless you wanted a trip to the ER. Gnarly sh...stuff.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by