Coarse sawdust, okay for chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmerbrowne, Oct 28, 2013.

1. farmerbrowne

farmerbrowne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    Kaministquia, Ontario
    Howdy I have a neighbor who has an old saw mill (circular saw type) and it produces a ton of very coarse sawdust about a 1/16" pieces and was wondering if I could use is as bedding seeing as it is not fine particles like you would get from a table saw. I know it is all spruce as well. I get wood shavings from him now but only when he planes wood which isn't often as he mainly cuts rough lumber. I thought the coarse stuff would be similar to corn cob for bedding.

2. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

I've used it before with similar results as shavings. The only thing I couldn't use it for was day-old chicks, as they liked to peck at it and eat it...

If you are able to get it from your neighbor for free, I would definitely use it! Where I live, I pay $7.50 for a 3cf bag of that type of sawdust!

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It will make nice bedding for them

4. farmerbrowne

farmerbrowne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    Kaministquia, Ontario
    Thank you everyone! Its nice to know that I can use it!!

5. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Thanks for asking this question- I use sawdust from local sawmill @ $5 per small dumpster for under the roosts and in the houses. I never thought of using it for bedding though! I've been using sawdust for the past year (not with chicks until they go into the 'big chicken' coop) and the funniest thing was when the russian orloff juveniles were afraid to roosts the first night because of the sawdust under them:) The next night all was fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by