coast of SQ birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wendy'sChicksRock, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Ok so Im all set to go to nationals, very excited as well. Now im wondering just how much cash to bring...( or should i say hubby is asking me ) what should i expect to pay for good SQ birds? LF cochins, silkies and bantam Cochins..BLRW.. I know it will be a general range but im trying to get an idea..

thank you

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I've never been to a show and will probably never have any SQ birds, but curious myself......

3. Wendy'sChicksRock

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    never say never.... [​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    A lot is going to depend on the breed, variety, age and sex that you are looking to get.

Chris

5. Wendy'sChicksRock

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    I listed some of that info... Im looking for pullets or hens

6. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    It will really vary on colors. Less common colors will be expensive - up to $75 for a standard cochin, probably much less ($30-45) for a bantam. This is top of the line SQ birds. They're quite spendy. Eggs can be cheaper sometimes (though in my case I spent over $50 and ended up with 4 gorgeous roos and an awful looking pullet i would never hatch from).

7. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    "Show Qualitity" varies bettween each seller. Try to know the standards for the breed you are looking for. As many people try to sell over priced "SQ" birds, when indeed they are not that great. To a strong BQ/SQ bird, you might pay around 50-100 a pop. Of course as quality goes down so will the cost.

My thoughts.

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I pay about $35 for a trio of SQ Bantam Ameraucanas. But I paid $40 for a pair of SQ Bantam Black Ameraucanas I have out there. I also just paid $50 or $55 for six SQ/BQ Bantam Wheaten Ameraucanas but I would expect to pay between $50-$100 per pair/trio. But you will be able to find deals and make some connections like I did.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  9. ParadisePoultry

ParadisePoultry Hey, I'm WALKIN' here !

Oct 19, 2009
    Paradise (Braham), Mn
    I've heard some Silkie breeders charge $500 for a pair, $700 for a trio......jus' sayin'

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'd bring at LEAST $100 if I were you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by