Coastal sold them as Dominique Copper Marans

RoosterTheHorse

Songster
6 Years
Sep 1, 2015
Stanwood, Wa
Coastal sold my husband chicks today called Dominique Copper Marans. I called Coastal to ask what the breed was of the chicks my husband just bought, and she said Dominique Coppers or Dominique Copper Marans. I said what is that? And she said sometimes they're called Dominique Coppers and sometimes they're called Copper Marans. Well, I tried to look Dominique Copper Marans up and realized these are actually two different breeds. I have a Copper Maran so this fusion of the named confused me. Is this how they are naming them now so they don't have to actually say they are one or the other, especially since they are difficult to know the difference between the breeds. And like someone said, a hatchery that knows their business would know the difference. I also realize that I had bought three Copper Marans before and two ended up being I think Barred Rock.

Anyways, what's the deal with this name? And what can I expect as far as the breed. The description in the store said lays chocolate dark eggs. I wanted Marans or a chicken that lays the dark chocolate eggs. I love that color.

Also, my husband got them because we have a hen at home that hatched one chick and he wanted the chick to have company. Okay, you gotta think that's cute a grown man not wanting a lone chick to be by itself, so he buys it 3 little mates. How do we get the momma to accept these store bought chicks? Is it possible for her to take them in? Or should we separate the homegrown chick and put all the chicks together in a chicken nursery?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Two chicks are dark with no white or yellow spots on their heads sand minimal white/yellow underneath. One has more white/yellow underneath. First three pictures is this one and it is slightly bigger.
20210727_192439~2.jpg
20210727_192337~2.jpg
20210727_191832.jpg
20210727_192414~2.jpg
20210727_192514.jpg
20210727_192328.jpg

20210727_185840~4.jpg

Last edited:
They are adorable! :love I dont see head spots or barring (dominique) and do see feathered feet (black copper marans), so hopefully you can scratch dominique off the fancy identification given by Coastal, & look forward to dark brown eggs in a few months. But i dont have either breed, so hopefully someone else will soon confirm.

What i do have is lots of broody hens ive given feed store chicks to, to raise along with their own hatchees. As far as giving your broody these chicks, that is tricky due to fact the broody's is is already 1 week old, she has bonded with her single chick, & may see the feed store chicks as unwelcome intruders. If you want to try, give her the feed store chicks tonight by flashlight. Put them behind her and under her tail. They will quietly snuggle under her, but make sure she is ok with them being under her tonight.

The true test will come in the morning. You willl need to be up before dawn to watch how she reacts to the new chicks. Most broodys wont accept week-olds, but there are still plenty of sucess stories. Worst case she tries to kill the chicks, "middle case" she doesnt harm them but wont let them near her, best case she accepts them willingly and you have one big(ger) happy family.

Everyone at least has the consensus that they are a type of marans, so that makes me happy. I wanted the deep dark eggs and it seems I will be getting those. Now I just have to hope they are all girls. We have enough roosters. None of them act brave like the little roosters do, so i think they will be hens.

Thanks everyone.

The homegrown chick is a week old and the store bought ones, they said, are a week old. I will post pictures as soon as I get home. I haven't seen them yet. I do feel that the Feedstores are lazy about knowing what breeds they have and keeping them separated or identified. LOl about calling them Orpington Rhode Island Red Australorps. We've had other experiences of "supposed to be getting a certain breed" and then it's another type. Once we thought we were buying Polish chicken, come to find out once they grew that they were Houdon. Well that turned out even cooler. They were awesome cool looking chickens, but no where a Polish, they just had the wild puffy head feathers.

Do you think they are DOMINANT copper marans!? Maybe someone misunderatood and thought it was Dominique. We have Dominant Coppers that look like this.
20210801_134635.jpg
20210801_135227.jpg

That might be what they are. The markings are yours are very similar, although no light color above the eyes of our chicks.

Oh well they are part of the family now. The mother hen never accepted them. When she picked one up and shook it I said no way and made them their own place in the house.

Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom