Cobwebs in mixed corn

clark6661

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Feluxstowe Suffolk UK
Hi.
Has anyone ever had cobweb like material in their mixed corn. It is in a 50lb bag and is actually mixed in with the corn causing it to come out in small clumps. The entire bag is affected and there is also some at the top of the bag where there is no corn.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Gary.

I'm not an expert on bug damage but, personally I would dump it all. Is this an old bag, or did it come from the feed store like this? Is so take it back. The webby looking stuff could actually be a type of mold. Moldy food can kill chickens. You may also need a better storage area that keeps feed dry and protected from insects, rodents, and the weather

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree. Pitch it. You may be able to save it for wild birds but I wouldn't use it with your flock.

Sorry about that!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

X3 Never feed food with cobwebs, bugs, mold or clumps. Corn especially becomes toxic when it goes bad and can kill your birds. So pitch it out.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Thanks for your warm welcome and also your speedy, if slightly worrying replies.
I have already given them several helpings on the basis that they would leave it if it was bad. I have also noticed that they have been quieter and not so excited about the food they normally love, like greens and fruits.
The egg numbers have also dropped this last week or so.
The corn was like this from the store. My storage conditions are excellent. Hard to take it back as I bought it on mail order from a store over a hundred miles away.
I will of course stop giving it to them now and contact the store for a replacement as I haven't had it long.
Thanks again for your replies, you might just have saved my chooks!
Thanks.
Gary

Hi Kelsie and thanks for your welcome. Good to be here. I read the link you sent but there are no signs of moths, eggs, larva or empty pupal cases, but the corn is "webbed" as described.
Would you expect to see the moths, eggs etc if mealmoth is the culprit or is the webbing sufficient evidence?
It will be going to the dump tomorrow anyway.
Thanks.
Gary.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

You've received some good advice already. I would get rid of the corn, and avoid possible poisons/problems.

Back
Top Bottom