1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Cocci and a sour crop...seriously??!! Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HaleyKrueger, Jul 29, 2013.

1. HaleyKrueger

HaleyKrueger In the Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    Two of my pullets started to show symptoms of Cocci 2 days ago. One had bloody stool and was listless. Once I noticed it I isolated her, and shortly thereafter I noticed another listless pullet whose stool soon became bloody. So they are in crates next to each other in the house. The rest of the flock is doing great and being treated with Corid. I've got they sickies on Corid and liquid foods. Yesterday the pullet who I would consider the sickest, Baby, poured water out of her mouth after I did a long water feeding. It concerned me, but I wasn't sure if that might be normal after a big feeding like that. This morning, I felt her crop and it's still filled with fluid. She actually showed an interest in food this morning and when she bent down to peck at it, fluid came rushing out of her mouth. Gaaawwwwddd! I've dealt with crop issues before, but never combined with cocci.

I want to continue to give her corid obviously. Can I give her apple cider vinegar in addition to that? I figure I should stop the liquid food, but she needs nutrition so badly. I'm just at a loss of what to do. The first day I brought her inside,her crop was completely empty. So I know it's full of the applesauce, pureed boiled egg and Corid water I've been feeding her.

I've been massaging her, but it doesn't seem to be helping her. Once I considered giving Monistat for sour crop and am thinking of doing that...would that hurt her sensitive intestine or counteract the Corid?

Any help you can provide is SO needed!

2. HaleyKrueger

Aug 27, 2012
    and by monistat, I mean lamotrine.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would doubt that an antifungal would counteract Corid since Corid is not an antibiotic. The use of vinegar in the water is not advised because it could affect the medication. However a drop or two in food might be okay. I know there is a controversy over whether or not ACV is good to use for sour crop. I would probably give her a bit of plain yogurt daily, and either use Greek yogurt or drain the yogurt in a coffee filter making it thicker. She really needs to drink as much liquid as possible to get the meds. I haven't experienced either illness, but maybe her gut is just so tender from the cocci, and that is causing her to regurgitate.

4. HaleyKrueger

Aug 27, 2012
    Thank you, that's really helpful! And you know, I just checked and she doesn't seem to have a foul smell at all. Perhaps this is all blockage from the sores in her gut? Can that happen? She continues to poop semi-solid/liquid, often looking very different than one another. There does seem to be a little less blood. Perhaps I should keep giving her the Corid water and just keep massaging her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: