Cocci and ammonia smell

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickalicia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. chickalicia

chickalicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I have chicks that have gotten cocci. I have purchased corid (?) to treat it. I have cleaned the area where they are at. I clean out their poop almost everyday this morning I go and check and feed them. I had one dead and an ammonia smell. I've never had that before. I have the shavings inside their inside home and just dirt where they go outside. They are not free ranging. Can't. There's no smell or cocci in rest of coop. The other chickens don't show signs is how Iam figuring no cocci. Plus treating them also. It is well ventilated what am I doing wrong or what can I do to get rid of smell. I don't have DE (?) I think that's how it's said. Iam fairly new at chickens all has been good pretty much until they contracted cocci. Nothing new came on coop. Also the chicks that still- after five days of treating -still showin signs the fluffy Iam depressed look. Do I seperate them? I have given them the ones that show signs the med throu a syringe -and in their water

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you have an ammonia smell in the coop the shavings need changing. That is why I went to using sand- I scoop it daily with a kitty litter scoop and wear an N95 mask. I no longer have to throw out shavings and the coop is poo-free every single day. It works for me. I even use the sand in the nest boxes and scoop them daily too (some sleep in there). Sand is bad to breathe though - dangerous to breathe. There is a "got sand you should" thread that is very interesting if you are leaning that way.

Shavings are expensive - some people have success with deep litter but in our Pac. NW humid environment it was moldy and smelly.

As far as the Corid, they always improve in 24 hours or so for me. I would consider either it is not coccidiosis or it is a strain not treated by Corid (there are 9 strains).

So if it were me I would either buy the other cocci meds or try antibiotics??? Not sure how to advise you on that.
    http://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/ahp/disease_links/images/coccidia.pdf

Some vets will do a cocci and bacteria test (and worms too if needed) on the poo for a fee (just bring the poo but call ahead to see what the fee is and if they will do it).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  3. chickalicia

chickalicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Thank u for responding. I tries to respond back but my app wouldn't work well. I changed bedding and stuff and seems better need to get tht sand for sure !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by