cocci and newly aquired chickens - question for you seasoned chicken keepers out there!

SeaChickens

Songster
10 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Seattle, WA
Background:
I just got 3 about three month old pullets (hatched 7/3) from a local farm. They had been housed in a barn with lots of other pullets, I believe on a dirt or cement floor. Now they are in a separate little run / coop here at my house, on wood shavings. They hadn't been outside before but were no longer on heat at the farm, but probably still somewhat warm considering there heat lamps for other pullets in nearby pens, plus just being with all the body heat from the other birds.

I have one adult chicken, Pepper, 3 years old, housed in a separate pen. My intention was to quarantine the new birds for 4 weeks. I fear my yard is too small to really be effective at quarantining - we try not to walk with the same shoes on the path to the coops but it's possible some contamination has occurred. Pepper had a bad case of cocci over a year ago but was given a sulfa drug orally and recovered. My other two chickens at the time did not get sick.

I saw what I first took to be shed intestinal lining in a poop on Sunday, but then saw more and figured it might actually be blood. Suspecting cocci, I gave them some corid I had in the pantry (expired but I figured better than nothing!) at a 2 teaspoon per gallon dose. Bought fresh corid on Monday and am now using that. They seem a little lethargic, lots of laying down but I don't know how much of it is due to the stress of moving to a new place, being young, and maybe being cold. Have also seen some foamy yellow-ish poops. I took one of those to a vet today for a fecal float but they said they can't get back to me until tomorrow.

Now for the questions:
Should I give the young pullets some heat in the hopes that it will help reduce any extra stress? I have a heat lamp I can turn on during the day, not so easy to use at night but at least they're cozy in their house then.

Should I give Pepper corid in her water just in case? I was considering giving her the 1/2 teaspoon per gallon dose. I don't know if the cocci came with the new pullets or if it is something local from our yard (have tried to avoid getting anything with dirt on it in the new pen but it could have happened). Or should I just keep on eye on Pepper and be prepared to dose her if needed? She came close to dying last time and we're quite attached to her so I want avoid any risk if I can.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
Background:
I just got 3 about three month old pullets (hatched 7/3) from a local farm. They had been housed in a barn with lots of other pullets, I believe on a dirt or cement floor. Now they are in a separate little run / coop here at my house, on wood shavings. They hadn't been outside before but were no longer on heat at the farm, but probably still somewhat warm considering there heat lamps for other pullets in nearby pens, plus just being with all the body heat from the other birds.

I have one adult chicken, Pepper, 3 years old, housed in a separate pen. My intention was to quarantine the new birds for 4 weeks. I fear my yard is too small to really be effective at quarantining - we try not to walk with the same shoes on the path to the coops but it's possible some contamination has occurred. Pepper had a bad case of cocci over a year ago but was given a sulfa drug orally and recovered. My other two chickens at the time did not get sick.

I saw what I first took to be shed intestinal lining in a poop on Sunday, but then saw more and figured it might actually be blood. Suspecting cocci, I gave them some corid I had in the pantry (expired but I figured better than nothing!) at a 2 teaspoon per gallon dose. Bought fresh corid on Monday and am now using that. They seem a little lethargic, lots of laying down but I don't know how much of it is due to the stress of moving to a new place, being young, and maybe being cold. Have also seen some foamy yellow-ish poops. I took one of those to a vet today for a fecal float but they said they can't get back to me until tomorrow.

Now for the questions:
Should I give the young pullets some heat in the hopes that it will help reduce any extra stress? I have a heat lamp I can turn on during the day, not so easy to use at night but at least they're cozy in their house then.

Should I give Pepper corid in her water just in case? I was considering giving her the 1/2 teaspoon per gallon dose. I don't know if the cocci came with the new pullets or if it is something local from our yard (have tried to avoid getting anything with dirt on it in the new pen but it could have happened). Or should I just keep on eye on Pepper and be prepared to dose her if needed? She came close to dying last time and we're quite attached to her so I want avoid any risk if I can.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
No harm in treating with Corid if you think they might have coccidiosis. If you do decide to treat, I'd suggest treating for a severe outbreak. Doses are:
9.6% liquid = 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 1-2 weeks.
20% powder = 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 1-2 weeks.

-Kathy

No harm in treating with Corid if you think they might have coccidiosis. If you do decide to treat, I'd suggest treating for a severe outbreak. Doses are:
9.6% liquid = 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 1-2 weeks.
20% powder = 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 1-2 weeks.

-Kathy

Thanks @casportpony ! I have the liquid Corid so I'll follow your dosage instructions. I know coccidiosis is no joke so I want to get them dosed up early, hopefully I can get an answer from the vet tomorrow...

No harm in treating with Corid if you think they might have coccidiosis. If you do decide to treat, I'd suggest treating  for a severe outbreak. Doses are:

-Kathy

Hi Kathy - hoping you can give me some more advice. My pullets finished their main course of Corid (two teaspoon per gallon) and I'm now doing the half teaspoon per gallon for another week. Their stools have improved, looking more solid and normal but still seem to have a little tinge of blood. Does that mean they're still healing or should I worry that the Corid didn't work?

Back
Top Bottom