Cocci, Aspirated... When is it Enough?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reyvaughn, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I have a Speckled Sussex girl, 23wks old, who has been fighting a bad case of cocci for two weeks or so. She wasn't drinking or eating, so I had to give her the Corrid by syringe. She was droopy, withdrawn head, eyes closed and limping (my brown Leghorn did this after 10 days with cocci and she was very weak). I figured she'd pass within the first week if the Corrid wasn't working. Nope. On the 5th day of Corrid, I gave her some poly-vi-sol to help with the nutrition deficiency from not eating for about 4 days. She aspirated on the poly-vi-sol, but not he the Corrid I just gave her... Nice. I settled her back into her spot in the barn and expected her gone the next morning. No. There she is, gasping, raspy and squawking at me. I tried to feed her, massaged her throat and just basically stood there dumbfounded. The next day, she's still alive. So, I decided to do something, because we are now heading onto 3wks of this girl fighting for her life. We gave her a shot of Tylan 50 last night and today she isn't gasping or raspy. Talk about fast results. She still isn't eating or drinking on her own, she's still droopy, her limp got better after the poly-vi-sol, despite everything else.

I just don't know what to do for her now. When is enough really enough? I am I actually giving her a fighting chance or doing more harm than good? I don't want to do the deed or it would have been done by now. I am at wit's end. During fighting with this girl, another SS died unexpectedly. Unless both had cocci and I kept thinking I was seeing the same bird all the time... I don't think so, though. I am just feeling like a bad chicken mom with all the illnesses and deaths lately.

If I keep going with her, what now? She's very emaciated and lethargic. I just don't know what to do.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Maybe you could try laying drops of liquid along the side of her beak and hoping she will pull them into her mouth. At least it would seem she would be less likely to aspirate that way. It's true that no one can live long without fluids -- but they can and do make it a while -- maybe just leave her alone for part of a day or even all day? Maybe leave just a little of something wet or mushy to eat with her?

I'd be very disinclined to cull, as you are, after trying this long, and with her still fighting.

3. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    sorry about your girls. Seems like it has been a bad year for chickens. Even the people at the vets today said they have been getting a lot of calls about chickens... and they don't even treat chickens. I .... or my husband has culled twice. Both were for girls that had leg injuries and were no longer able to get around and were dying from this. It was very sad. Otherwise I give them the best chance I can and hope for the best. Your girl sounds like a fighter. I know with humans an aspiration can be healed with antibiotics... Sounds like that is what happened with your girl. I hope things work out.....

4. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I went out to paint the coop a little and it's in the barn with this girl. My husband went to check on her in her far, back corner. She hobbled out of the barn and down below to the bottom end of the barn and got herself a drink! My husband was trying to catch her and she kept hobbling away from him. She couldn't do that yesterday! She's obviously feeling better, but she needs another shot of Tylan!

I'll see how she does, because today there are clear signs of her feeling better! I guess I made the right decision (so far) to keep trying my best to keep her going.

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Great news! You go, girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by