Cocci chick getting better then worse? What else to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NeeleysAVLChicks, Jul 13, 2010.

1. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Hi guys, I have a one month old BC Maran girl with all the tell-tell cocci signs. When I let everyone out of the coop early Sunday morning, she was puffed up in the corner of the run, listless and not interested in everyone else's chicken antics. I brought her inside and sure enough, blood in her poop. So, I put 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of 20% amprolium (Corid for Cattle was all they had at TSC) in a quart waterer, mixed her up some yogurt, medicated chick starter, powdered milk and a tiny, tiny bit of the Corid powder to help her get a jump start on the medicine. I continued treatment throughout Sunday and Monday, she was doing fine, eating and drinking and seemed to perk up a good amount yesterday, so much so I was considering putting her back outside this morning if she was still doing well. Well, this morning she seems to be worse off, hunched in the corner and less interest in the yogurt/food mixture and in general less energy.

I thought we were through the woods, but we seem to have taken a step back. Is there anything else I can do for her?

Thanks!

ETA: I haven't seen any more blood in her stool since yesterday, but this morning its really white and runny.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Polyvisol baby vitamins (WITHOUT iron) might perk her up?

3. NeeleysAVLChicks

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    After I posted this I remembered that I had some Poly-Vit-Sol in the medicine cabinet and gave her a few drops. Unfortunately I'm now at work and can't go home to check on the sweet little one until lunch, but hopefully that helps. Thanks for the suggestion, though!!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Maybe give her some yogurt to help settle her digestive system? I think the cocci treatment is hard on them.
    Hope she gets better! [​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi there! The corid probably killed the cocci, but she may have some infection caused by irritation from the cocci as well. Soooo I would put some vitamin/electrolite powder in her drinking water, along with some Duramayacin powder in it.

The Corid is a coccidiostat, which does kill those cocci, which are a protozoa, (a little organism), but the Duramayacin is an antibiotic, which will help with any infection that the cocci could have caused by irritating the chickens insides.

Hope this helps! You can get the vitamins and the duramayacin at the farm store. I buy mine at TSC, and they're both relatively inexpensive....like $2.00 each.

Good luck!

Sharon

6. NeeleysAVLChicks

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    WONDERFUL! Thank you so much! I actually have both the vitamins & electrolytes and the Duramayacin at home already, so I'll try those at lunch. THANK YOU!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by