1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Cocci Disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoveThemBirds, Feb 28, 2015.

1. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I just recently watched a helpful video of Cocci.

It turns out it is a cell that grows bigger,turning into something more.If the sick bird poops.in the coo with other birds,the others can get it.It also seemed those who survive the disease,are immune to it.

The syptoms are,lost of appetite,laying down a bunch.That is what I heard,and saw.The disease doesn't take full effect until about,six days.You notice syptoms at the third or fourth day.

It never recommended,what medicine to use,but I suppose antibiotics,or probiotics.I would also consider silver...

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The most common treatment is Corid or Amprol (both are amprolium).

20% Powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for another 7-14 days.
    9.6% liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for another 7-14 days.

Products are usually found in the cattle section of feed stores. They look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

Edited to add:

Most people treat with the severe outbreak amount.

FDA recommendations:
    http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
    "Chickens
    Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
    Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
    "Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
    The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
    The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
    The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  3. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Thanks!

I am also just curious,what is Mareks disease?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by