Cocci; finished round of Sulmet, still bloody poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NWChicks, May 13, 2010.

1. NWChicks

NWChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    We have been treating our birds for cocci, followed the directions on the Sulmet bottle and finished up as per directions just yesterday. Today I was out in the run with them and noticed a weird, mustard colored kind of poo that one of them dropped right in front of me. It looked like teeny black flecks were in it but I'm not sure if I'm just overly worried. After examining this one I went into the coop itself and started looking around. There are several mostly sold poos with blood in them on the roosts and on the ground.

So my question is, what do I do now? I've treated with the Sulmet and given them yogurt. Do I wait a few days? Do I now switch to Corid and treat them again? They're on medicated feed (they're almost all between 10 and 16 weeks). This is so frustrating! I just lost a hen last week to this and I just want my girls healthy!

Thanks for any wisdom.

EDITED TO ADD Okay, so I just went to the poo page and examined those there. I'm hoping that I am just overly paranoid after losing one and that it's just one of those where there is intestinal lining in it. I had thought I saw another post earlier that covered this topic but couldn't find it before I posted mine. Unless someone tells me differently, I think I will just keep an eye on them and not do anything at the moment but be prepared with Corid if they begin to have issues again? They're all acting fine. The tails are back up, no ruffling feathers anymore, pecking and scratching around. They all seem to be eating and drinking and the ornery ones are ornery again.

Sorry to have posted unessecarily, I'm just still heartbroken over the one I lost and absolutely paranoid of losing any others!

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    are you feeding barley?? yellowish poo and are you sure it isn't lining being shed... that is red.

3. NWChicks

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    Quote:No barley. They have the medicated food and scratch that I mix up. I have done barley in the past but not this batch and it's been long enough that it should be all out of their systems. I edited to say that I may have jumped the gun and it could be the lining. (I need a little red faced smiley!) Thank you for your input. At least if I do give them barley I'll know if they poo yellow!

4. Tangerine farmer

Tangerine farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    Ventura CA
    Mine had that awful mustard colored poo... and with the yohgurt and a little time seemed to get over it.

5. NWChicks

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    Quote:Cool! Thank you!

6. Chickaholic

Chickaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Snohomish, Wa
    Oh My GOSH!!! NWCHICKS!!! I was just freaked out for you after just reading your post!!! I just talking with you this morning, no way can this be happening again!! I am praying for you and the girls!! I can't believe this, you then jess and now me with my poor roo, who now has his wing ace bandaged up as I am speaking, NO!!! NO!!!! NOOOOOO!!!! NO MORE BIRDS FROM YOU KNOW WHO!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by