Cocci improvement--how long?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sammysue78, Apr 19, 2017.

1. sammysue78

sammysue78 New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    Hi all--I have a flock (Dec 2016) in which 2 have died of cocci (I realized in hindsight) and 2 more are now ill. I've added amprolium and Hen Boost probiotics to their water last night (one died this AM), and orally dosed the sick ones. The two sick ones are living in boxes in my bathroom and dammit, I reall want them to live. Other than offering water/electrolytes hourly is there anything I can do? Do pullets ever survive this? bummed.

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Sorry to hear about your loss, but many birds do recover from cocci with treatment.

I assume you have more birds than just the 2 in the tub? I would dose the entire flock with amprolium as a precaution. If using liquid Corid 9.6% amprolium, it's 2 tsp per gallon for 5 days then 1/2 tsp per gallon for 7 days for aggressive treatment. If a bird is not drinking regularly I would drench (using a plastic syringe, squirt the medicated water straight into their mouth) but it sounds like you have that part down.

If they're not eating you can try offering some favorite treats or something like scrambled egg, whatever it takes to get their appetite going.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by