1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cocci in a 25+ week old cockerel??? Update 9/30 (PICS)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmc, Sep 28, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Several days of mild to hot, intensely humid weather....................now past

fishy smelling diarrhea, some definite blood in it.

no poops are fully normal; once in a while there is a loose normalish looking one

fed some DE, mix of poulin layer and egg production plus feed

he is alone

no other birds of the 22 seem affected--all poops seem within normal range.........

he eats and drinks and is active all day, eagerly pacing along the fence, wanting to get back to the rest of the flock.

he has almost STOPPED vocalizing. he usually makes some various normal noises............

feathers below vent show the whitish wet smear of the diarrhea--sometimes it comes out like a little 'jet'.

I AM RELUCTANT TO TRY A COCCI-STAT SINCE I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS.

16.99 for Corid in a bottle (liquid) i guess. (Does this stuff work?)

vet is not an option

he seems a bit too old for cocci.

this bird is NOT listless at all, at all, at all. just slightly bloody poops, and strange silence..........

?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Any other symptoms? Sounds a little like the problem I'm having. This humid wet weather is awful

3. flashover1969

flashover1969 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    How old is he? If it is cocci, there are other medications out there and you can try getting the medicated starter crumbles.

Yes Corid is used to treat coccidiosis. Some others you may want to look at are Sulmet, Deccox, Sulfaquinoxoline, Nicarbazin, and Maxiban. There are more meds, but that should give a few options.

Here is some more info on this Protozoan disease, which matches the symptoms you have listed:

PROTOZOAN DISEASES
    (a) *Coccidiosis
    Coccidiosis is one of the most common diseases of poultry. It is caused by a number of species of protozoa
    called coccidia. Fowls, turkeys, ducks and geese are all affected. However, coccidia are host-specific, so fowls
    are not affected by duck coccidia and vice versa.
    The disease usually affects birds over three weeks of age. The symptoms include ruffled feathers, drooping
    wings, pale combs and diarrhoea, sometimes streaked with blood. Most losses occur in young birds, but adult
    birds can also be affected. Large numbers of chickens may die suddenly without apparent symptoms.
    The coccidia live in the intestine or caecum of the bird and pass out through the droppings. They become
    infective in damp surroundings and are spread from bird to bird when infected droppings are eaten. Coccidia may
    survive for long periods in the litter.
    Good management will help prevent serious outbreaks of coccidiosis. If birds are denied access to droppings, the
    life cycle will be broken. This is achieved when birds are raised on wire. Damp litter around water troughs will
    allow coccidia to become infective.
    Medication in feed is often necessary to prevent outbreaks of coccidiosis. Young birds raised on the ground
    should be routinely treated with a coccidiostat. As the wet season provides ideal conditions for coccidia to
    become infective, medication is recommended at that time.

If you notice any other symptoms, please post. The fishy smelling excrement is a bit out of place to me..... I'll see what I can find in my research (reminds me of E. Coli)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:If his immune system is just a bit weak the cocci will take advantage; yes even on an older bird. Amprolium (Corid) just prevents the cocci oocysts from absorbing thiamine and they die off. It will not harm your bird unless you continue treatment far beyond what is necessary then the bird could develop symptoms associated with thiamine deficiency. It is very safe and I would recommend treating the whole flock at this point.

There is not enough amprolium in medicated chick start to treat cocci once it get to this point, it is more of a preventative dose.

5. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    I was under the assumption that if they were fed the medicated crumbles as chicks that they would be immune to cocci as adults/ teenagers?

6. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi jmc,

Even when it rains all summer here, I never see cocci in adult birds that haven't been bought in from elsewhere. This isn't to say it doesn't happen, but I would think it's rather rare unless there's another factor involved (eg. low immune function).

If it was my bird, I would be thinking about other causes of diarrhea and blood in the droppings, such as bacterial infection, worms and perhaps (as a last possibility) kidney problems.

This is just my view and I'm not an expert in poultry disease.

Good luck,
    Erica

7. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thanks for replies.

his age: See the title!! [​IMG]

no other symptoms. i find his almost complete silence now, puzzling.

no worms visible, if that means anything.

let out more loose bit-of-bloody poop last night. some normalish looking, some chicken gravy-ish looking..............

still eager to go in the am. goes right to feed and water. he seems to be drinking more of the acv water he gets (as does the whole flock)

super experienced campine breeder says cocci in a bird this age could surely happen, esp. with the nasty warm and humid weather we had recently. his take is that, since he is doing this well--and he is acting quite normally, except for poops and silence--he is clearly fighting it well--at least at this point.

i am just gonna observe for now. I DO NOT want to perpetuate weakness in my flock. This bird is/was intended to be used as a breeder. This why i am leery about medicating. i he can only survive with medical intervention, then maybe i don't want him..............BUT MAYBE Cocci is an exception and should be medicated anyway..........??? [​IMG]

btw, is corid an antibiotic or something else?

tx again.

would tablet form be better than in-water form? recommendations?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  8. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    note his butt feathers:

[​IMG]

normalish poop

[​IMG]

bad poop last night--2 pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. flashover1969

flashover1969 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Corid (Amprolium) isn't really an antibiotic. It is made to prevent the consumption of vitamin B1 by the cocci organism. They end up consuming the Corid, which is a yummy yet completely worthless food to the cocci and they starve to death

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by