Cocci in adult hens? Enough Corid? UPDATE It was Cocci

Yardbirds286

Songster
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Western Mass
I have seven hens that are 1 1/2 years old. All are acting very normal. Getting about 5-6 eggs a day. All are good weight and eating well. Noticed bloody stools two days ago. Very bloody. I have no idea who it is because there are quite a few bloody poops in the coop, and in the run. There run is huge, and has a lot of grass that is shaded by trees. With all the rain from Irene, and then what was left of T.S. Lee it has been damp for some time. I figured it was Cocci. So I went with Corid after reading that Sulmet was a bit hard on them. These are my first birds, and my first ever health issue. I used 2 tsp. in a little over 2gal of water. Is that enough? When should I see improvement? Should I throw out the eggs, and if so for how long? I noticed there was a withdrawal period for beef so I assume there is one for eggs as well. They have been on the treated water for not quite 24 hours. There was blood in the coop this morning again. Also, they have never been wormed. We move their coop and run every spring to fresh ground.

Took a sample to the vet. No worms, but positive for a type of Cocci. Three days into the Corid treatment and no more blood. Thanks to all the information on this site I was able to get a jump start on the treatment.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
with cocci they will act sick fluffed up not moving around as much as usually. When we had cocci this spring I used 5 ml per gallon of water for 5 days. Then dont eat the eggs for 14 days.

You might try worming them. Have they been eating beets or strawberries lately? Maybe polk berries?

With it being wet like that lately, Cocci is a reasonable concern, but bloody stool does not always mean Cocci. And lot of times, Cocci does not cause bloody stools.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom