cocci in chicks eating medicated feed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknerd, May 26, 2010.

1. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    HI three questions please:

1) I was wondering if it is even possible for chicks to get cocci while on medicated feed?

I have 11 chicks, 6 are over six weeks old and have been on medicated feed since I brought them home over 4 weeks ago. They show no symptoms at all.

Last weekend we brought home 5 three-week old chicks. I have no idea what they were fed before last Saturday but they have been on medicated feed since they have been with me, so for four days.

This morning I saw what appear to be very red poops on the shavings. Not blood on poops but red poops. I checked the poop website and cannot find anything like it, normal or not. It does not look like cecal poop. It is not loose. Just very red. I have not been able to identify the culprit as no one has blood on their feathers. I do know it is one of the 5 new chicks as the two groups are separated at night.

I have seen only two red poops so far. The chicks appear great otherwise, eating and drinking, and doing their normal thing. I do have ACV in their water. They are getting plain yogurt as well (What a mess!!!).

2) if the poops really appear to be bloody later tonite or the chicks start to act abnormal, why treat with Corid if it is the same medication that is in the feed? I am sure the medicated feed I have contains amprolium. And if not Corid what else can/should be used?

3) Finally, should I still give them medicated feed while on Corid or any other medication?

Thanks

deb

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, they can. Mine always do, at least the ones who were raised in a brooder and don't hit the ground till they're a month old. The broody-raised ones never do. I can get only medicated feed here, but the amprolium in it is such a low level, as it is in all starter feeds, that it can't stand up to the oocycsts in my soil here. The new chicks do probably have cocci so I'd treat the lot of them with corid.

3. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Quote:

4. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Thank you both!!! Just brought them in so I will check in a few hours and see how they all are doing.

deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by