cocci in my brooder

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mwash, Jan 22, 2014.

1. mwash

mwash Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2013
    So, I'm pretty new to chickens.
    Here is how everything went. I bought 16 golden comet chicks about a week old and started them on medicated starter and have kept them in the brooder since as our larger coop is not yet ready. They have since been moved to an even larger brooder to accommodate for their size.
    In the mean time, I bought 8 bantams that were about 5 months old or older, to train my LGD's with, as they are puppies. I have had 6 of those carried off by eagles or eaten by dogs. I also acquired 5 silkies (2 older, 3 younger). When I first brought them home, I had them all in the smaller brooder that my golden comets had been in until I moved them outside a few days later (it was really cold!). The other day, one of the small silkies was lifeless, but still alive in the coop when I went out there in the morning. I brought it in, and thought it had nearly frozen to death because it was a very cold night. It died a few hours later. The very next day, the other small silkie was perfectly fine (seemingly), then an hour later, it too, was found limp just laying on the ground. Because my bantam rooster was so much bigger than the silkies, I thought his aggression had broken their necks.
    Then this morning (in the same brooder that my golden comet chicks originally were in, and the silkies were in), I found my pair of bielfelders (about 5 weeks old) dead! The more I think about it, the more the signs were there, but I didn't notice them. Last night the roo was puffed up and the hen was cuddled up under him. I thought they were just cold. But I also noted how much calmer they were with me petting them and so on.
    I think that the 4 of them died of cocci, because upon closer inspection, I think there is bloody stool in the brooder with the bielfelders. My concern is for the 20 other week old or younger chicks I have in another brooder as well as my golden comets and other outside chickens. Can I give them the medicated chick starter and they'll be ok, or should I do more? Also, what do I do with the brooder that I think is infected? How do I get it clean? There's still the third silkie outside with my two original bantams and two older silkies. The 4 older of the outside birds seem fine.
    Is feeding the medicated chick starter while they're young the best I can do to prevent it for my other chicks? I'm worried about the ground outside and the coop where the two small silkies were, being infected.
    Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be appreciated. I'm still not entirely sure where it came from. Either the silkies brought it with them, then infected my brooder, or my brooder was infected from my golden comets, which all seem to be fine.
    Thank you!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you live in the US? If so, get a necropsy done by your State lab and start treating your other chicks with amprolium (Corid or Amprol).

-Kathy

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    maybe you need an enclosed run so eagles and dogs don't get your birds?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Medicated chick starter will not treat a case of cocdidiosis, so I would recommend Corid as Castportpony has posted. It is a good idea to always quarantine new chickens for at least 30 days away from other chickens in case they have a disease. It is also not good to mix different age groups without much observation. In an area with a lot of predators like eagles, chickens should be kept in a covered run unless they have hiding places or you can watch them. After your treatment of Corid is finished, I would recommend that you give everyone several days of vitamins and probiotics in their water.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  8. mwash

mwash Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2013
    Since the eagle situation, we have covered the run and no more have been taken. The dog situation was with a flighty bird flying outside the run and over our fence.

I know that medicated starter will not treat it, I'm wondering about preventing it, since I have it possibly in my run, before putting any more chicks or chickens out there. And do I need to treat all the chickens who have been exposed to the two silkies that were outside, even though they're older and probably have an immunity to it? The rest of my chicks have not been exposed to it since they are in brooders. The golden comets were on medicated starter and are now on grower but the other week old chicks are not on medicated starter.

I'm also curious about how I can sanitize my brooder that I think is the culprit.

Thanks for the information! I do appreciate it!

9. mwash

mwash Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2013
    Does a necropsy tell me what they died of?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you read the link in post #5?

Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by