Cocci in older birds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mondotomhead, Oct 17, 2013.

1. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    Everything I'm reading on past posts about cocci seems to be about chicks. Do only chicks get this?

I have a 3 year old rooster who is showing signs of cocci such as fluffed up feathers and lethargy. I did check him for mites and didn't see any. Also, his wattles have gone from red to and pinkish-white and his feet are cold. Its been 3 days since I noticed his wattles.

Anyone have ideas about what might be going on with him? He's my favorite rooster and I'd hate to lose him :(

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Birds of all ages *can* get it, but I don't think that it's common in older ones. Have you wormed him? If so, with what and when?

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of his poop?

-Kathy

4. mondotomhead

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    Right now he's in a coop and yard with 33 of his wives and kids. I hesitate to confine him by himself since he likes to roost next to his favorite wife but I can so as to get a "sample" poop picture.

And no, I haven't wormed him or any of the others. Do you think worms are causing his cold feet and pick wattles and "fluffy-ness"?

5. mondotomhead

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    When I got home from work I found him in a laying box with a hen. I made up new cocci-water and fed him quite a bit of it. While holding him I noticed how thin he was. I could feel his breastbone. His crop was empty but not surprising because he probably didn't eat yesterday or today.

Would him having worms make him that thin?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yes. I recommend that you worm him and your other hens as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by