Cocci, intestinal shedding, overly worried new chick mom or...? (Pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Katie Pigtails, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Katie Pigtails

Katie Pigtails Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have three chicks that are about 4 and a half weeks old. I took them outside for the first time on wednesday and this morning I awoke to find this on a paper towel roll they had in their cage.

[​IMG]

I have never seen any blood in their cage before and they are all eating and drinking normally. One bird did seem a little sleepier then normal last night but they seem to go through stages where they sleep more then other times. I would not say that any of them are lethargic. As I am new to owning chickens I don't know what I'm looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at work now and the local chicken store does not open until 11 so I'm trying to think good thoughts and not worry to much but they are my babies. Thanks!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yes, be very concerned. Are they on mediated feed? I would put them on a round of corid whether they are on medicated feed or not. Coccidiosis kills very quickly.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yes, Cloverleaf is right on! Corid is available at TSC. If you get that into their drinking water right away, you might be lucky and not lose any......don't wait though....it's pretty quick and deadly.

4. Katie Pigtails

Katie Pigtails Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    Portland, OR
    They have been on medicated food for the four weeks I have had them. I went to my local chicken store when they opened and they gave me Sulmet so that is now in their water. When I went home all three chicks hopped up and started peeping when they saw me and they were eating when I left so I'm hoping I caught it soon enough. Who knew I would get so attached to chickens!

Thank you all for you advice! This is my first bunch of chickens so I have a lot to learn but this forum has been so helpful and I'm so glad it's here!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Good luck with your babies!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by