1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cocci issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daskhan, Nov 6, 2015.

1. daskhan

daskhan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    So just a question are cx extra supseptable to cocci? I let my chicks out all 50 and now the 26 cx are dropping like flys I think its cossi when I get a chance I'm gonna buy some corid 9.6 can I/ should I treat all the remaining cx? Just FYI the other chicks are a bit older ruffly two months old I believe and the cx are closer to 3 weeks to a month but none had gone outside till like four to five days ago

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I wouldn't say that they are more susceptible than other birds. The Cornish X I've raised were healthy and active and I had no diseases in them. I have had Coccidiosis once or twice in the past in my bantams but my Cornish X were fine.

If your Cornish X appear to have Coccidiosis or are housed with birds that have Coccidiosis, I suggest treating them with the Corid. It will not hurt them and will help prevent/treat the disease.

3. daskhan

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    I've feed them medicated feed since I got them so I'm a bit surprised this is happening I've never had any birds that jd this issue none of the ones they are housed with have it either so
    I'm just confused

4. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    The dose of Corid in medicated feed is very minimal, so this comes up all the time. You should proceed with a full dose for the entire flock. Search this site for dosing information.

5. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Can you post a picture of their poop?

-Kathy

6. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    The 9.6% Corid liquid dose I use is 10ml (2 teaspoons) per gallon for 5 days, then 2.5ml (1/2 teaspoon) per gallon for 7 days. Make fresh daily.

The 20% Corid powder dose I use is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days. Make fresh daily.

Medicated water must be their only source of water (no creeks, puddles ponds, etc.)

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  7. daskhan

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    Is there a special cleaning method like I normally change the bedding and replace it every few days should I be spraying with disenfectent now befor putting new stuff down? Should I refrain from taking them outside during treatment. To the poo pictures I switched the bedding today so none left

8. daskhan

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    Also whti read said to stop feeding medicated feed while treating these are cx from welp hatchery and welp hatchery said to feed them medicated 20% what should I feed them? Non medicated 16% I've been feeding them 16% medicated should I give all my birds corid just in case?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by