Cocci medicine for laying hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by messianicmom, Mar 31, 2011.

1. messianicmom

messianicmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    I believe some of my hens, 2 of 7 adults, are exhibiting cocci symptoms; bloody stool mainly. I went to find some meds. for them and none can be given to laying hens. I understand you don't want to consume the eggs, but what can I give hens that are over 16 weeks old?
    I have 5 young chicks that are under 10wks. that are disease free.
    We've had some wet weather down here (GA.), combined with a warmer than normal March so I think that's what has caused this to develop.

Can anyone recommend something?
    Also, how long after finshing the treament should we wait to eat the eggs?

Thanks Rachel

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You can treat them with Corid (amprolium) 9.6% oral solution. Dosage is 9.5cc corid per gallon of water for 7 days. There is no egg withdrawal with the corid oral solution.

1 person likes this.
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The instructions on the Corrid-V package doesn't list chickens, but that's one of the medications to use. No egg withdrawal.

4. messianicmom

Jul 21, 2009
    Thank you.
    Yes, the Corid package has nothing about chickens on it, just calves. So thank you for the dosage information. Does that dosage also apply to chicks that are
    under 10wks. old?

Although I wouldn't eat the eggs during treatment, my husband wanted me to ask anyway if that was even possible.

Is there anything I should sprinkle on the ground to kill the cocci on the ground? Or is sprinkling DE to dry it up enogh? (I know that DE won't kill it)

Any other helpful advice? After two years, this is the first incident of anything we've had.

Rachel

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yep, I had some chicks with Cocci last year, and Corid did the job very well. But you know, it's unusual for adult chickens to get cocci....Usually by 17 weeks, chickens have built up their own immunities and don't get Cocci..........It's the younger chickens.....pullets and cockerels and chicks under 17 weeks that normally you have to worry about with Cocci......

Good luck to you....My Corid package also didn't list chickens on it, so what I did was call the 800 number and I actually got to speak with a vet when I called, and he gave me the doseage. He said it's a very safe medicine......

I think you'll have good results,

Sharon

6. messianicmom

Jul 21, 2009
    Is it possible it's not cocci? Blood isn't there everytime there's waste; it's only been a few times.

Could it be something else not so serious?

Rachel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by