Cocci mortality rate?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sonjab314, May 25, 2010.

1. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I just noticed a poop that had a small quantity of blood on it. I happen to have Sulmet on hand and immediately put it in their water. I have 9 chicks in the brooder (where the dropping was found) and I don't know which chick is sick. Anyway, long story short, does anyone know what the mortality rate is for chicks (2-3 weeks old) with cocci? This is the first time I've dealt with this. I though one of my older chicks had it (that's why I had it on hand) but it turned out just to be ceacal (sp?) droppings. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    I had cocci in some of my chicks last fall and I lost 5 out of 25. I think the key is catching it in time before they are overwhelmed. I read quite a bit about cocci when my chicks got sick. From what I remember, there are several different strains of cocci, some being more lethal than others. I do believe the cocci with bloody poo is particularly bad. That is what my chicks had. They had pure blood with clots in their poo. They got pretty bad but fortunately I didn't lose as many as it looked like I would. Sulmet works fast. My chicks were looking better within 24 hours. Good Luck!

3. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    I had cocci in some of my chicks last fall and I lost 5 out of 25. I think the key is catching it in time before they are overwhelmed. I read quite a bit about cocci when my chicks got sick. From what I remember, there are several different strains of cocci, some being more lethal than others. I do believe the cocci with bloody poo is particularly bad. That is what my chicks had. They had pure blood with clots in their poo. They got pretty bad but fortunately I didn't lose as many as it looked like I would. Sulmet works fast. My chicks were looking better within 24 hours. Good Luck!

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Depends on how bad it is, and what kind it is [​IMG] There is actually 3 kinds of cocci in different parts of the Digestive tract. One is not very fatal at all, occres in young chicks, and is easy to cure. However, I cuaght a very bad Cocci that was in almost fully grown birds. I started with 25-30 birds, and was widdled down to 10. Why did this happen? Because I didn't identify the disease in time. The poop of the sick birds was yellow, not red. So I had no idea what it was, it was too late by the time I finally caught on...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by