Cocci nightmare

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Housefull, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Housefull

Housefull Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Ugh! Ok, here's the long story. We went and got 11 chicks. Five days later one had bloody droppings. I thought cocci from reading around here but wanted to make sure, so we took the chick to the vet. Well, I asked to just do the fecal but they said I had to have an exam. Anyways the chicks has horrible cocci. The vet prescribed Albon tabs 500mg to be diluited in water. Everywhere I read Albon tabs are for dogs and even then it's only prescribed 25mg per lb. I just want to make sure we are doing everything we can for these chicks. Also, does anyone have any tips on keeping them out and away from droppings. We hatched a batch of black coppers about 5 months ago with no problems, had them in shavings and they seemed much cleaner. These little Chicks we put in cob since it was recommended by the local feed store and the box seems instantly dirty again. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Housefull

Aug 2, 2011
    Also they are acting crazy. We gave them the meds last night and now they are scratching and picking at the floor like crazy. Also no stop chirping. normal?

3. nikischicks

nikischicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    NE/Mid Ohio
    I can tell you my vet (a country vet who has tons of poultry) prescribed me Albon also for cocci. The dose on my tabs was 500 mg, and I gave a full size hen one tab a day for I think 3 days. It cleared it up. She was droopy for some days after but got well. Im sorry I cant help you more than that!

4. Housefull

Aug 2, 2011
    Thank you it's good to know it is prescribed for chickens with cocci.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by