Cocci or Parasites? Help please.

2theDogz

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
I have 6 chicks, 2 & 3 wks old. They're on medicated feed. I just saw one poop bright watery blood & there's a pretty strong odor coming from the bin I just cleaned last night. I'll head out first thing this morning for Corid, but wondering if there are other possibilities, like worms.
Pertinent info : 2 of the chicks were vaxed for cocci & Marek's, the other 4 aren't. I thought I saw one of the vaxed chicks eat a poop with a long stringy worm the first day or two I had them. Subsequent poops looked thin & stringy but I couldn't positively ID a worm. Mentioned it to the breeder & he kind of shot it down as a possibility in such a young chick. But I commented they didn't appear to be thriving compared to the others. They're eating & growing but just haven't seemed as healthy.
So should I treat with Corid only, or give them de-wormer as a precaution?
And what product/dosage do I use?
I have Ivermectin on hand but that's it.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

If all else in your brooder is okay (temp. bedding, chick starter, no red lights at night, and it's a place where they feel safe and cared for) they are right on time for coccidia and I'd add Corid to their water. Depending on whether the hens were loaded with parasites which can pass to the embryo, they may have other parasites but I'm not familiar with treatment for very young chicks. I do know some of the dewormers should not be given to growing chicks. Do you have a photo to share of your brooder and chicks?

If all else in your brooder is okay (temp. bedding, chick starter, no red lights at night, and it's a place where they feel safe and cared for) they are right on time for coccidia and I'd add Corid to their water. Depending on whether the hens were loaded with parasites which can pass to the embryo, they may have other parasites but I'm not familiar with treatment for very young chicks. I do know some of the dewormers should not be given to growing chicks. Do you have a photo to share of your brooder and chicks?
Thank you. I'm leaving for TS asap for the corid. The brooder in has a top & the light normally sits just above it.
Screenshot_20210921-073115.png

I had just replaced the shavings but there was one bloody poop already.
IMG_20210921_072359066.jpg

Add:. Note the 3 chicks looking at the camera. On the right & at the top are exact same age - 3.5 wks. Left is 16 days. Top is one of the 2 vaxed chicks

Okay. Thanks. The Corid should help them. I’d make sure the brooder is 80 at night for right now and that they have sufficient ventilation when you cover their brooder. I use screen instead of plastic tops. It also looks like they are about to get a bit cramped and will be walking and pecking on their feces within the next week. I’m not knowledgeable about the different parasites that can infect young chicks but if you don’t see an improvement within a day of starting the Corid they might have something else

Okay . I had Just set up a larger daytime brooder I keep on the porch for chicks 3 to 5 weeks. Was waiting for the younger chicks to hit the three week Mark but I think I'll go ahead and put them out there while I sterilize the indoor/night time brooder again. It's plenty warm enough and the fresh air and sunshine should do them good.
I picked up safeguard wormer along with the cord but don't plan to use it unless the corid is ineffective. Thank you for your input!

Last edited:
Okay . I had Just set up a larger daytime brooder I keep on the porch for chicks 3 to 5 weeks. Was waiting for the younger chicks to hit the three week Mark but I think I'll go ahead and put them out there while I sterilize the indoor/night time brooder again. It's plenty warm enough and the fresh air and sunshine should do them good.
I picked up safeguard wormer along with the cord but don't plan to use it unless the corid is ineffective. Thank you for your input!
The Corid is fine for them but the Safeguard is not okay to give until they are fully feathered.

The Corid is fine for them but the Safeguard is not okay to give until they are fully feathered.
Ok. Thank you. Amazingly I haven't seen any blood since I got back with the corid...like even before I gave it to them. They aren't acting sick at all. Should I give it the full 5 days anyway?

I'm wondering if the little bit of cider vinegar I put in their water yesterday had anything to do with the blood. (?) I do it a couple times a week when they start getting so messy. Never had a problem with it before, but the timing is interesting.

Back
Top Bottom