cocci? or something else...?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MarissaMHM, Aug 9, 2013.

1. MarissaMHM

MarissaMHM New Egg

May 28, 2013
    i have a sick chick and not sure what it is....

realized this afternoon she was very puffed up and sitting still, looking very tired. i took her out of the coop and onto the floor, which is usually SUPER exciting, and she just sat there.

she's only 2-3 weeks old and i've been worried about her a bit since the beginning. when i picked her up (from a local feed store) she pooped in the box they put her in and it was like water (or clear liquid) and then a tiny bit of poop. it looked a little strange and i asked the guy about it and he said it looked "a little runny" but okay to him.

she still has these poops... they're not really runny poops... more like water + a tiny normal poop with it.

anyways, she also never has a very full feeling crop. it will kinda swell through the day, but it just feels like liquidy and mushy. not solid. i have seen her eat food, so she must eat some, but doesn't seem like enough.

anyways, so now she seems sick.... lethargic and puffy.

poops are still the same. no blood in them.

do you think it's cocci? or something else?

i've isolated her to a separate box from the others (however, i only have one warmer, so i'm a little worried she's going to be cold! ... i'm putting her box right under our dining room pendant which always seems to be so hot to sit under for a meal, so i'm hoping that'll be okay). and i've been trying to get her to eat or drink but she seems completely, completely uninterested.

:/

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Do not put her where she cannot get warm. They need the warmth especially when they are sick. I would treat her with Corid asap. Coccidiosis is the most common cause of the symptoms you describe. Left untreated it will kill her if it is cocci. If it is not cocci and you treat for it then at least you have ruled it out and can move on from there.

I would put her back with the others, keep her warm, and treat them all.

3. MarissaMHM

MarissaMHM New Egg

May 28, 2013
    okay! she's back in with the other girls! thanks so, so much for that advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by