cocci possitive, started sulmet today and now am worried

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fmizula, Aug 9, 2011.

1. fmizula

fmizula Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    i got a fecal sample back from vet and very high levels of cocci were present. i was reckomended sulmet or corid. the feed store did not have corid so i bought the sulmet. now that i am home and reading online there is a ton of bad stuff listed about the sulmet. should i take it away immediently? they are egg layers. i am using in conjuction with a probiotic.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:If you can't get corid then you need to treat with sulmet, cocci is a killer if left untreated. use the probiotic but treat with sulmet. It eventually leaves the body right? you just can't eat the eggs for a while. [​IMG]

Just finished reading some info about sulmet on here and It's up to you as far as treating them, some say eat eggs after 14 days some wait a month. I just say you need to treat the cocci no matter what you use.

3. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    that is kinda what i was thinking but i just read a million bad posts about sulmet. and i guess the label says that you should never eat the eggs again. the eggs are one of the main reasons for my chickens and love [​IMG]

4. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I picked up sulmet at the recomedation of tje feed store clerk. I am giving it to my sick pullet, but will wait for an answer to you question befor treating the whole flock.

edit to add-- feed store said to use the same 10 day withdraw for eggs as is tecomended for meat. Do not bother trying to hatch eggs from those two wks.

5. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I recently had a test come back positive for cocci. The only thing I could find that day was Sulmet, so I bought it, but Dawg53 told me it is harder on their bodies...it can be toxic if overdosed. That being said though, he told me to go ahead and use it instead of having our girl suffer and possibly die. I personally didnt feel comfortable with it, and found a store over an hour away, that, the next day was suppose to get Corid in late in the afternoon, so I waited and things were fine. I will say that I felt like their bodies had been through enough already because of other issues going on...I had just ended worming with Valbazen right after worming with wazine and felt they had been stressed enough. I tried to order Corid online for next day delivery but it would have cost a fortune. Valleyvet will or QC supply (cant remember which one) will deliver next day for $32, but next day meant by 7pm which is usually when ups arrives here, and I couldnt get myself to pay the $80 to get it guaranteed by noon. Like Dawg53 had told me (not sure these were his exact words), it was better to treat and hope for the best than not do anything and have her die.

6. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    im trying and hoping for the best now. where in mass do you live? im on the monroe ma line in vermont?? usually people live very far away from me on these groups

7. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    Hi Fmizula,
    I'm in Westborough MA...just east of Worcester. You are welcome to come get Corid from me. I dont know how long the drive is though. I know Hardwick Farmer's Coop in Gilbertville, MA has it. That is where I got mine. They might be closer to you. I'm embarrassed to admit I dont know how far timewise I am from Vermont. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
    Roz

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Try Jeffers Livestock - they have $6 shipping on livestock supplies

9. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    you live two and a half hours away and the feed store is almost 2 hours. im not sure why it took you over an hour. maby googles wrong, it has been more than once.

felicia

10. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    at this point shouldnt i stick with what i have now? would it be bad to switch after i have given the sulmet alreadY?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by