Cocci question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by plynneb, Jul 2, 2016.

1. plynneb

plynneb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    In tending to my chickens today I am uncertain if what I saw was them showing signs of cocci or just cold. I let them out to play in the yard earlier than usual temps were abt 56 degrees and one was puffing up, still moving around fine, interested in food. Otherwise normal behavior. So, i decide just in case to go get some corid so I have it. Get back and no puffing up from any of them but my big olive egger roo is now laying down as if to take a nap and puffed ever so slightly as he tucked his head. I never see them during the midday so I am not sure what is normal or not. Should I run a course of the corid to be safe or am I over reacting?

The olive eggers are 6-7 weeks old and the sebrights are 9-10 weeks old.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  2. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens like to take naps during the day, especially when its hot. This is perfectly normal.

3. plynneb

Apr 30, 2016
    Thanks, I don't want to be a victim of wait and see and be wrong. [​IMG]

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    At their age I would take close watch to make sure it's not Cocci.

56 degrees should be fine with that age group(s) as well and if fully feathered they really should not be cold.
    Chicks and Chickens sometimes do take short naps during the day, take dust baths, etc., but watch for signs of staying puffed/hunched up, lethargy, weakness, going off feed and diarrhea with or without bloody.

Cocci Info:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html
    WITH VIDEO
    http://www.easychickenry.com/coccidiosis-in-chickens.html

5. plynneb

Apr 30, 2016
    I will be watching them closely! Was just out there and everyone seems ok. But, I will be very watchful! Thank you for your input as well!

6. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess I've been pretty lucky with my chickens. Years ago I had one old hen that died of old age and a bunch that died in a stray dog attack, an occasional hawk but for the most part they never got sick. I did have to worm and dust for mites. They were game chickens. Now I have chickens again and so far after 13 weeks none have died from disease but I've lost a few younger chicks to trampling from the older chickens. I also had very few roosters hatch so many years ago. Now more than my flock is more than half roosters, they were bought as chicks not hatched from a broody hen. If one does seem a little off I do separate them for a day or two to give them a chance to recuperate. One of mine was injured by a dog and the others were pecking him so I separated him for several days. He slept mostly the first couple of days but after that he was fine. I put him back in the coup at night and no one seem to notice he was back.

7. plynneb

Apr 30, 2016
    Well, so far so good. Everyone is acting normal and healthy and free-ranging with an air of happiness for the freedom. Thanks for the support everyone! I will of course continue keeping an eye on everyone.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear they are doing well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by