Cocci questions!

alcstreetman

Chirping
Apr 11, 2019
Athens, GA
If a flock has been treated with corid, can they still get cocci?

Does it hurt in any way to treat them again?

If they are on medicated feed, do I need to stop giving them medicated feed after a round of corid?

Does this look like a bloody stool? (hard to see, the stool itself didn't look bloody but I feel like the liquid around it is tinted red?)

What else would cause diarrhea? My flock JUST moved outside on Saturday and I'm noticing two have diarrhea. They have all been treated with corid, except for one that was added after about a week of quarantine. Obviously, I should have done longer. So, this one could have cocci but could she still spread it to my flock or are they immune? Could diarrhea be from a sudden change in diet as they are now eating things from the ground?

If it helps, my chicks are about 8/10 weeks old and one of the ones with diarrhea is about 5 weeks old. They are eating purina medicated and just moved to the outside coop and run on Saturday. Previously then were in dog crates in my garage with pine shaving bedding.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_20190528_134549909.jpg
    IMG_20190528_134549909.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 13
Say, that's the same way my Rhode Island Red chicks are doing. They are on Purina medicated. But they won't eat it unless we crush it for them into powder. Mine will have diarrhea to. Don't know what it is either. But their poo isn't bloody or anything...just smells really bad. :tongue

Yes, they can still get coccidia, and they basically all have it. It's a given and cannot be prevented, coccodiostats just protect them from disease from coccidia. Your chicks are old enough so they don't really need to be on medicated feed, I think.
They can get diarrhea from enteritis, coccidia, worms, stress, change in diet, you name it. The only way to know if they have coccidiosis is to have a fecal exam done.

I don't have a vet that sees chickens which is one reason I am planning on getting rid of my chicks. I have too much going on anyway and I have too many backyard pests that would happily eat my poor babies. Anyone here in Texas close to Timpson that would give my darlings a very safe, very loving home? They must go to someone who will pet, and love them to pieces.

Thanks, but that won't be nessesary- I am trying to find a home for them ASAP. I have so much to do.:hit I may attend a gardening course, I plan to experiment with tomatoes this fall and I have a lot of stuff that was thrown at me at my job which I hate. :he

Back
Top Bottom