cocci strikes again...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lacce18, Mar 13, 2012.

1. lacce18

lacce18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    Waikato, New zealand
    Hi guys, so glad i have this forum to fall back on when things don't quite go right! lol
    I believe i may have cocci in 2 of my young chicks. 3 weeks ago we had a large group of chicks get cocci, there was 17 of em... and i ended up saving 11... however 3 out of the 11 was a tiny bit younger (5 weeks old then) so i brought them into the shed, gave them sugared water and egg yolks... i cannot seem to find sulmet anywhere in new zealand so far grr..
    all 3 of the chicks survived tho.. and now (3 weeks later) they seem perfectly fine, displaying no symptoms at all.. so we put them into the small brooder box with some younger chicks whilst our new brooder boxes were being made. They were in their for a week (it was a little overcrowded).
    So we have seperated them all again so that they have more space, the 3 that had cocci are now 8 weeks old, and should really go outside. (ill explain why we havnt put them out in a minute) However the younger chicks that they were in with now have bloody poops!?!? Does this mean they have cocci too? because i thought the 3 older ones was fine now... eek! i've seperated the young ones with bloody poops into seperate brooder boxes, and again gave sugared water and egg yolks, but i still have no sulmet on hand... What dyou think i should do? continue with that medication (its pathetic i know) or cull them, although i reeeeally dont want to!.... d'you think the older chicks still have cocci and can spread it to others? and another thing, when they have cocci, can it spread in the brooder boxes? i have disinfected the brooder boxes before i put them all in together, and again when i seperated them all... its so depressing knowing that they're sick!!

Soo.. now the 8 week old babies.. for some reason yesterday their feathers seem to stick up on end, spread out (like a frizzle) but only a few feathers are doing this.. is this normal?? these guys seem to have harldy no feathers at all.. which is why we havn't put them outside, i believe they would die from being too cold... all of their bottoms and under their wing is skin!!! the 5 week old chicks have more feathers/fluff than them! lol.... dyou think that there is somehting wrong with these 3, or just stunted growth from the cocci they had? i've been told to cull them.. but i dont want to do that if they are perfectly healthy, and will just take longer to grow???

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    See if you can find some liquid Amprolium at your feed store, it should be in the cattle section. Dosage is 9.5ml to 3.7 liters of water for 5 days. Give it to all your chickens. There is no egg withdrawal.

3. lacce18

lacce18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    Waikato, New zealand
    Oh wow thankyou!!.. have been having such a hard time finding the sulmet ) : we are off shopping tomorrow, and ill look for it then... This will cure them? (fingers crossed)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by