1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cocci treatment doesn't have to mean no eggs! UPDATED

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Jan 25, 2009.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Our BR stopped laying a couple of weeks ago after having laid for just 2 weeks. I've realized that she has cocci, since she has blood in her poop. The last few days she has seemed listless and been haning out with our loner banty cochin. I think that she has lost her spot in the pecking order, too. [​IMG]

So, today I went to get some Sulmet to treat her. We'll start all 4 girls on it tomorrow. That means we can't eat the eggs for the duration of the treatment, plus 10 more days!! [​IMG]

I just gave friends a dozen eggs yesterday, too. What a bummer!!!

---------

UPDATED at the bottom of page 1. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I'm so sorry. Hopefully the time will fly by for you and all your girls will get well. Winter is not fun - I haven't had eggs in 2 months, but I'm looking forward to basket fulls come spring. [​IMG]

3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Sorry. My girls have really gotten stingy with the eggs the last two weeks. And we sold all we had so I can't even fry me an egg sandwich.

Hope yours are feelin better soon!

4. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Maybe I shoudl just isolate the 1 sickie (who isn't laying anyway!) so that we can still have eggs? [​IMG]

5. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Oh dear, sorry that happened. I'm glad you caught it before it effected the rest of your chickens, though.

I Hope your girl feels better soon.

6. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    DBF and I decided to isolate her & her banty friend during the days (no water in their coop) so that we don't have to treat the 2 who aren't sick and who are laying. We'll treat those 2 when they molt, possibly this spring?

YAY!

7. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I went through that with Jacki-O, I was told to treat all my chickens (put it in the water for all). I believe that it was the avian vet that told me to do this. I put her in a cozy little crate in the coop until she got better and she liked that (with her own food and water), because when I tried to take her out, she cried miserably.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by