cocci . . . *updated questions p. 3*

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
14 week pullet. started looking sleepy about 5 days ago. I didn't pay enough attention. was to tired to walk yesterday. I got on here and researched sounds like late case of cocci (never had a sick chicken before). I got amprolium and tried to force feed water to her. She died today. It looks like I have a 9 week old looking sleepy now.

questions:
1. can I treat the water of the whole flock?
2. if I do how long after the 9 day course should I discard eggs from laying hens? can they be fed back to chicks?
3. If you catch it early what are the chances of recovery? if recovered are their lingering problems? ie; failure to thrive, weakend resistence . . .?
4.I have a farm and the chickens free range during the day. I keep the coops clean but their is a lot of stuff they are exposed to running around it the muck . . . can I get this off my property?
5. where did it come from? I only keep chickens a couple of dogs that are seperate from the chickens and one cat. BUT we have a HUGE amount of wild birds; flock type, migratory water fowl, and hawks/eagles (forgot the word for them), plus pheasant and quail.
5. what is the proper dosage of amprolium? I have seen several different answers on here.
6. do I force feed it or just let them drink regularly?
7. is it possible to overdose them with amprolium? if I did that what would happen? (symptoms)
8. is there different dosages for different ages?
I would really appreciate any advice or help.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Yes, you can.
2. 2 weeks. Or feed back.
3. Very good changes. Recovery means immunity to that particular species. You have to replace some gut bacteria to help them thrive - use probiotics. Yogurt, probios, acidophilis, live bacterial cultures.
4. No you can't - but that's ok because of the immunity. Just keep things nice and clean, and try giving young ones probiotics when young to help build gut strength.
5. There are cocci in most all soils. And it can be spread by nearly anything. The trick is keeping down conditions that allow it to bloom - like wet bedding and footing, especially in warm weather for example.
5. Depends on the product; which exactly did you buy?
6. Let them drink regularly.
7. Yes, it's possible but unlikely. You won't likely do it following dosages on her. Answering 5b will help that. Or you can buy Sulmet.
8. No - same dosage, all ages.

THANKYOU!!!!
I bought Corrid (amprolium) 9.6% after reading about it on here.
I checked my feed lable and it does also contain amprolium 160 g/ton and Bracitracin Methylene Disalicylate 200 g/ton

ok folks I need dosage advice. I am guessing by what I have readon here that the suggested amount is 4cc per gallon for 5 days. I am worried thought that this may be too much as there is amprolium in their food as well. and advice well be greatly appreciated.

also can I put PVS in the water along with Amprolium?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Ohhhh you're feeding an antibiotic. BMD is Bacitracin an antibiotic - not just a coccidiostat. Antibiotics are a standard practice for industrial poultry applications but not really your best bet for small flocks. What brand is it may I ask? If possible next batch try to get a starter/starter grower that is NOT medicated with BMD.

Giving Corid with the feed amprolium is not too much. It's fine.

The dosage is 2.6 cc's per gallon of water. (You can use an empty syringe to measure). Or a 1/2 teaspoon (kitchen measuring spoon please) per gallon.

PVS? I'm confused - what is this? In any case you probably only want the meds and water in the water.

YIKES!!! I was searching on here this mrning trying to find an answer and came up with the dosage of 9.5 cc's per gallon of water if using the 9.6%. Have I killed them all???

so . . . 5 days at full strength, 4 days at half strength then probiotics and ACV?
PVS PolyVisomething (baby vitamins) should I put them in water along with Corid?

9cc's is only about 2 tsp any way

that is the right amt of corid 9/6% for gallon of water

here is what I give as using corid

quick Corid dosage questionthat is what they use for 9.6% corid
and seems to work well

I asked Speckled hen last week what the cc's are in amt's

GLH ASKED
Speckled hen what amt of tsp is the 9cc or 6cc?
thanks for helping out here

speckledhen
Queen of the Flock/Moderator

Glenda, the Corid liquid I use is the 9.6% solution. Costs me about $20 for 16 ounces. It's not easy to find around here, but First State Vet supply right now has a special on the powdered Corid, which may be a good deal.

5 cc's- 1 tsp

10 cc = 2 tsp. so, I'd say that a teaspoon and a half would do for about 6 cc.

For those who dont know, cc = ml, so if you have a measuring device that measures in ml, you can use that in place of cc's.
so I guess it would be 2 tsp

come back with the full instructions on the bottle and will help you see this amt

this is proven fact and speckled hen who is the moderator here justifys that

the signs for coccidiosis is
weak chick
standing alone especially in corner
ruffled feathers
and only drinking water
and manure is runny
some times with blood and some time not

they die in 4 days after first showing signs of being alone

so watch your chicks daily and note any who are doing these things

and they get it about a week after being put on the ground
the soil can have 9 kinds of coccidiosis
one kind is only treated with sulmet
the others are treated with corrid

it is very good

i WILL TRY AND REMEMBER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS
FOR ONE THING
IF THE BIRDS HAVE HAD COCCIDIOSIS FOR 5 DAYS THEIR TIME LIMIT ON LIFE IS NILE

SO THE AMT YOU GAVE WAS GOOD FOR THAT

ALSO do not put any thing in the water for the 5 days full strength of corid 9.6%

and I would use the 2 tsp per gallon as you have surely got a severe case of coccidiosis
I can't believe they lasted this long

also put the ACV in the water after treating with corid

and vit's after corid also

no the amproylium in the feed does not hurt the amt in the water

and yes do give the wet mash probiotic's after treating with corid
as the coccidiosis has hurt the chickens gut flora and it needs up building

there are 9 kinds of coccidiosis germs and two effect turkeys

here is some information on coccidiosis and treatment

#1 FOR COCCIDIOSIS
Use medication of choice
I give both medications and amts to put in the wet mash medicated with either corid or sulmet

also use the corid or sulmet in the water at same time for 5-7 days

SULMET
)A) for the flock do this
THIS CAN BE MADE INTO 1 QT OF DRY FEED
2 QTS OF WATER
AND THEN ADD THE 2 TSPS OF SULMET

CORID
If using corid 9.6% for the flock
1 QT OF of dry mash
2 QTS of water
add 2 tsp of corid 9.6% to the water

feed 2 tbsp per chicken for a feeding
feed this two mornings to get the medication in the birds
also at same time put the corid or sulmet in the drinking water for 7 days
each chicken gets 2 tbsp of the wet mash with coccidiosis meds

speckled hen gives corid(9.6%) liquid in 2 tsp per gallon of water a

And after medicating give the following things
either the corid amproylium or the sulmet will work but now you have a difficient gut problem with the E.coli
and it needs to have the Vitamin E put in the wet mash probiotic to help the E.coli gut problem

do this
now the
natural probiotic recipe is is:
1 qt of dry crumbles
1-1/2 qts of milk, sweet, sour, or buttermilk or a mixture of all or some
1 cup of yoguart of non flavored yoguart ( no artificial sweetmer)
mix good
AFTER PUTTING vIT'S IN
PUT 1 TBSP OF APPLE SAUCE FOR THE WET MASH PROBIOTIC

NOW THE IMPORTANT INGRIEDIENT FOR EACH CHICKEN FED
and add 1- 400 mg of Vit E by cutting the end off the vit E capsule for each chicken fed this wet mash
putting it in the wet mash

OR FOR each chicken your treating
so for each chicken use 2 tbsp of mixture and 1-400 mg of Vit E

twice a day for them till the manure is solid

and feed each chicken
2 tbsp full of the wet mash probiotic and what they will clean up in 20-30 minutes
then clean wet feeders and restock dry crumbles

do this twice a day for a week
till the chickens manure is right
then quit the Vit E make just the wet mash probiotic
then once a week for life

All the while after mdicating the birds use
do not use ACV with medication

2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar per gallon of the chicken water so their gut flora wil be regulated

they should have this at least 3-5 days a week
then three days aweek after they are over coccidiosis
the vit's are neccessary to clean up the damaged gut problem
take all the electrolytes out of the water

email me any questions so you are not confused

Back
Top Bottom