Cocci & wheezing/Sneezing????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newandjustafew, Aug 7, 2014.

1. newandjustafew

newandjustafew Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    Alright I recently treated for worms/gape and was successful, I will repeat after 10 days from first dose. But then 2 days ago one of my RSL (4.5 months and same one that I think had gape worm) began having runny (watery) stool WITH blood (small blood "chunks") so I RAN out and got Corid and started treatment immediately! No more bloody stool but 2 others still have really runny poop. Other than what I've said everyone's been acting completely normal, eating, drinking, dust bathing, etc.
    BUT this morning I heard my rooster wheezing (kinda badly) sounds like wet gurgling? Not good! I know there is argument on mixing Corid and antibiotics in same waterer, but then what should I do?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Gapeworms are rare in chickens. Most likely you have a respiratory disease or fungal problem running through your flock.

3. newandjustafew

Jul 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California

So should I stop the Corid treatment? I gave their first dose on the 3rd so today is the fourth day of Corid. I do have Tetroxy as antibiotic, should I just begin treating with that?

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If you saw bloody poop, or what may have been bloody poop then no, do not stop the Corid. Just go ahead and finish the course of treatment so you can at least rule that problem out.

As for treating with an antibiotic? I would dose each sick bird orally rather then putting it in the water. Dosing in the water is very hit and miss as sick birds often don't drink as much as they normally would. Consumption can also vary each day depending on the weather. I also don't like treating non-symptomatic birds, only treat the ones that are sick.

5. newandjustafew

Jul 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California

Yes there was definitely bloody stool on Sunday (far as I know only from the one tho) but have been treating all 5 with Corid in water. And after the first day no more blood. One of the other pullets does still have watery stools (but mostly still formed) I will mention I got these three RSL to add to my hen & roo I already had, and the two younger/smaller ones have had runny poop since I got them. Then some sneezing (randomly) but otherwise totally fine. It was just this morning that I heard my roo with a wet like wheezing sound.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The new birds most likely were exposed to a strain of cocci that are new to them when they came to your place. It works the same for your older birds too, the young birds can bring along a strain of cocci that the older birds have not previously encountered and are not resistent to. So yes, definitely a complete course of Corid for all.

Unfortunaltely these new birds may also have brought along some kind of respiratory disease as well. If you Google "poultry respiratory diseases" you can get an idea of what all is out there and the problems associated with it. Some are worse then others in terms of treatment, management and how often it flares up.

7. newandjustafew

Jul 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    Gosh I'm at a loss here....on day 6 of Corid treatment, yet at least one (I think two) of the pullets still have runny droppings!! Solid WITH runny stuff, I can actually see/hear it squirt (sorry) outta one of them!! Tails r up, they've eating...what can this be???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by