Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Pasty icky butt. Is this coccidiosis?
    [​IMG]

2. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    It is also hard and icky around his vent even after washing. They were inside until a week and a half ago. [​IMG]

3. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Any ideas? Started Corrid Monday but still messing it's backside.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I've got this going on too. I did a search on runny green poop. I found to give your chicken a shot of Tylan 50. 8cc for a grown chicken. This has really helped my situation. Do it for 4 days.

5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    That really doesn't look like Cocci. You'd see lethargy, maybe bloody poops, but not white discharge.

Quote:
    EIGHT cc??? Am I reading this correctly?

8cc is way too much Tylan to give a chicken.

The dose is more like .5cc given orally once a day for five days. Bantams you would give .25cc... Please reduce your dosage!!

~~~~

@daxigait , there are numerous reasons for strange discharge.

Worms - Just because you haven't seen any in poop doesn't mean they're not there and are responsible for MOST of the poopy butts in the chicken world. Safeguard and Valbazen are two excellent wormers... Valbazen liquid goat wormer is my personal favorite.

Gleet - Candida is a nasty thing, and just like we can get things like Jock Itch, yeast infections, and eczema, chickens are also susceptible to yeast overgrowth. Gleet is the result. It's basically a white, smelly discharge that runs continuously from the vent.

I'm sure y'all know this already, but I get long-winded sometimes.

Does he have a horrible smell about him? If so, you can treat gleet with Diflucan (you can find it online). The dose is 10-20mg per 2 lbs... You can break the pill into quarters and give a piece per day for a few days. That should help gleet.

If it's worms, I would recommend getting a bottle of Valbazen liquid goat wormer, a small syringe (without the needle), and a second pair of hands. The only way to know for sure is to have a fecal float done by a vet (or you can do it at home!), but I would worm your entire flock anyway.

I hope that helps!! If I forgot anything, I hope someone will chime in. :)

MrsB

6. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    thanks, it is a January 31 chick that had only been outside a week when it started. Chickencanoe and casportpony suggested gleet today. It is stinky. I will get the medicine. I am going to feed yougurt and to it tonight. I will look up the medicine you suggested.
    Thanks

7. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    You're doing a great job. :)

MrsB

8. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I hope so since I am an abject failure at spraddle/splayed leg.

9. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    She drags herself around with the leg back, but everybody runs her over. I tried taping the legs and using axstraw and bandaid. Nut she would peck it off while I was gone. Is it best to end it, or let her struggle on?

10. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    You could treat her splay leg, but it would take time and attention.

VetWrap is ideal, because it sticks to itself (even beyond what a band aid will do), making it impossible for a chick to peel it off. I know my local feed store has it, as does Tractor Supply and Amazon.

I would try and invent some contraption that would allow the chick to start putting weight on its legs gradually. If you search this forum for "chick sling," you'll see what I mean... Tape its legs together with the straw thing, so that the legs must be used in concert for the chick to move. :)

I'd also give Vitamin B12 and Vitamin E in the water for leg issues. You may have to keep this chick separate for a little while.

No one but you can make the call on whether to put her down or not. I am sorry you are put in this position... It's never easy. :(

I hope she recovers!!

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by