1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    can 7 week old chicks get cocci, they are still in a brooder and have not been exposed to any other birds, I keep the brooder clean but maybe will clean it fully today. I saw some small amounts of blood in their stool.

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I think yes-do you have pics of the stool? I am guessing some poeple are going to jump in here asap.

3. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    I don't know the answer, but am interested in what others have to say...

If coccidia is a parasite/protozoal infection found in the environment outside and in other birds & animals, then it does *NOT* make sense to me how chicks having never been exposed to other birds or the outdoors can get it?????????????!!!!!! Altho I have read some posts that imply that they CAN (??????!!!!!).

Some sort of gastroenteritis from new food item or over-exposure to normal bacteria in own poop makes more sense to me... (NOT implying they aren't cleaned, but I know mine are messy little boogers who probably get an occasional beakful of poop no matter what I do!!)..

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

[​IMG] sorry not more helpful...

4. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    yes they can, I have a few delawares that I am treating right now

5. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Yes, cocci is not viral or bacterial, but rather a a single cell parasitic protozoa that grows in the intestine. You can treat with a coccidiostat such as Amprolin which is used in medicated starter grower. Note that the medicated feed does not cure an outbreak, but rather allows the chickens to develop a tolerance to it. Your best course of action is sanitation since it is spread through the droppings , and treatment with drugs.

6. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Here are common drugs used to treat cocci:

Examples of coccidiostats added to the ration include Monensin sodium, Lasalocid, Amprolium, and Salinomycin.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    This is a cocci stool:
    [​IMG]
    We treated with Sulmet and our chick was better in no time.

8. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine
    if amprolium in the chick feed wont nip it, and you want to try the coccidiostat:

amprolium 9.6% is sold under the brand name Corid.

it does not say chickens on the bottle, but i called the manufacturer and they were nice enough to tell me 1 tsp per gallon (fresh each day for 3 days) is what some poultry people use for ADULT chickens. you would need to research about safety/dosage for chicks. i found a 16 oz. bottle online.

that being said, it didn't help my adult chickens, neither did sulmet, so now i have a vet appointment, thinking that what they have might be respiratory, not cocci, and that i need tylan.

good luck, hope you get a speedy resolution.

(fyi, supposedly amprolium is the only safe drug of these types to use in ADULT active egg layers.)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  9. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine
    horsefeathers,

thanks for the photo, GOOD to have the reference.

(my chickens poop was green and well formed, no blood yet.)

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Glad it helped. The chick in question was also very hunched over:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by