Cocci ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mlove, Jun 22, 2010.

1. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    I recently bought 8 baby chicks from a breeder out of town. They are in a brooder inside my house and have not been taken outside yet or been around my other chickens. Over the last few days three of the chicks died. They were eating and drinking but some of them seemed weak when I bought them. Long story about that ... I should have walked away without buying them since the coops were in such bad/filthy condition. Yesterday I noticed a tiny bit of blood in a pile of poop. Tonight I noticed two more spots of blood and I can't tell which chick it is from. I have not noticed any runny or abnormal poop other than the small amount of blood. Do you think the problem is cocci? Can I get them medicated chick starter and it help them or is it too late? Is there something else I can do to give them a fighting chance at surviving?

2. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Definitely sounds like cocci, and I am sure feeding the rest of the chicks medicated feed will help.

I am not widely experienced in dealing with treating cocci since I have never had to do it. But I do know that there are treatments you can start them on so I am going to give you a bump in hopes that someone else can help with treatment!!

Good luck!! [​IMG]

3. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    medicated feed is a prevention, you need to get CORID or sulmet to add to their water ASAP

4. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Thanks, I'll start calling TS and the local feed stores to see if they have any in stock.

5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Get Corid for the chicks, Sulmet is harsher on the chicks intestines and can make them bleed more.

6. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    I just got home with the Corid. It gives directions for bovine so I'm not sure how much to use for five chicks ranging in age of 5 days-3 weeks. How much should I use?

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:OK, if you have the Corid powder for bovine, then you put 1 tbsp per gallon of water. Also, you may want to give some vitamins/electyrolites in their water. Also, give them some duramayacin in the water too, because the cocci will also cause an infection......

Hope it's not too late for your chicks.......good luck!

YOu will need to clean and sanitize your whole brooder as well.

8. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Perfect! Just got your message and I'm mixing the water right now.[​IMG]

9. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    The chicks are drinking the Corid water. [​IMG]

I also have Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes. How much should I add to the water/Corid mixture?

How often should I sterilize the brooder and what should I use to clean it with?

Thank you again for your help!!!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:For the vitamins, I blelieve it's one teaspoon per gallon. I would clean it out thoroughly with some bleach water, and then put some fresh wood shavings in it, and just make sure the food and water are super clean.

Maybe do it once a day until you don't see the bloody poo anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by