1. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I need to know more info on this disease, like what age chicks usually get it, how to treat it, how to prevent it, and at what season it usually pops up in, Thanks in advance!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  3. salt and pepper

Thank you!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cocci is always in your soil. There are many strains of it like flu viruses, so your neighbor may have different ones. It thrives in wet conditions, so keeping your coop dry is good. You can get young chicks exposed to it early by taking a chunk of sod from your yard and putting it in the brooder. That way they will slowly build up immunity by the time they are out on the dirt in a few weeks. Some like to feed medicated chick starter, but many of us don't because it zaps their B1 vitamin, and can cause problems. I have used it and lately do not. I've never had coccidia yet, but they can get an overload at any age although it is more severe as chicks. Corid and sulmet are drugs to treat it. Look at what normal poops look like--they can have red ones that look like blood, but are actually just normal intestinal lining shedding.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Very good info... Just remember that a bird with coccidiosis does not always have blood in it's poop.

6. salt and pepper

Thank you! you guys are awesome =)

7. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Isn't there a vaccination that prevents cocci?

8. salt and pepper

Yes, there is, but I got my chicks from a feed store, so I don't know what they are vaccinated for, or if they are at all.

9. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Since reading your posts about this, I don't know that I would even order the vaccine. Mypetchicken says they don't offer it because it can cause adverse effects on the chicks and cause undue stress on them. Also, I have read in some other articles, where people used the vaccine and they still got cocci because it only works on certain strains. Personally based on all what I have read, I think the best bet it to keep the coop dry, clean and use medicated feed ( I know this isn't a guaranteed preventer either ) but every lil bit of prevention adds up. Also, introducing chicks to the cocci in your soil gradually like putting a small scoop of it in the brooder or bringing them out for short intervals of time. I read one article where this guy takes poop from his older birds in the coop and mixes it with water for the chicks to drink to build up immunity. lol I dunno bout that one. But all the other stuff mentioned makes sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by