1. elliechooks

elliechooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    UK
    I have chicks that are 13 days old and I think we have cocci. There is bloody poo in the run, one died this morning and a couple of others are really listless, just sitting, all hunched up with feathers puffed out. The regs on medicines are strict here in the uk and you cannot get corid or anything like it. There is coxoid available for pigeons but not in any shops near me, and it's a bank holiday weekend here in the uk so if I buy online I probably won't get it until Tuesday. I called my local vets and spoke to their chicken expert (who had to call someone else and ring me back because he didn't know) and they said it is unlikely to be cocci as the chicks are in a brooder, cleaned out daily and have no contact with any other birds. He has prescribed baytril. Will this do the trick if it is cocci? I only have one brooder but the weather is pretty warm here, should I separate out the ones that seem ok or is too late?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Did he prescribe Baytril (Enrofloxacin) or Baycox (Toltrazuril)? Baytril will not work on coccidia. From what you describe, it does sound quite possible that you have coccidia even if the chicks have been inside. You do say you see blood out in the run, how long have they been in the run? Have you ever had coccidia on the property that you know of? Will the vet prescribe something different that is also affective against coccidia?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cocci doesn't always produce bloody droppings, but if you have blood in them it is pretty much for sure that is what you have. Chicks usually don't get it until 3-6 weeks, but it isn't impossible. I would call the vet back and ask what they treat Cocci with. Amprollium is the generic name for Corid. In Canada it is amprol. Sulmet (sulfamethazine) and Albon/Di-METHOX/Sulfamed-G (sulfadimethoxine) are the other drugs used, but they treat fewer strains.

4. elliechooks

Jun 19, 2013
    UK
    The chicken vet is off now until Tuesday. There is a locum in tomorrow but don't know if they have any chicken experience. It is baytril he gave me, but said he didn't have the right drugs in and can't get it till after the hols anyway. I have ordered coxoid online, just most of them survive until it arrives.
    I have never had cocci here that I know of, these chicks have been in the brooder for all of their lives, I was putting them out into a nursery run, (which is inside the main chicken enclosure) when I discovered the poorly one this morning, it would have been their first time outdoors. I brought the sick one in back in the house and it died a couple of hours later. I have brought the others back in (after thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting the brooder). I am still seeing bloody poops in the brooder now although not sure which chick its from. I keep cleaning it up as much as I can.

5. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It really does sound like coccidia even if you haven't had it before, the incubation period can be as little as five days with some of them so it is possible. Baytril shouldn't hurt them, and may help with any secondary infections, but you really need to get them on something that will work on the coccidia. If the locum dosn't do any good tomorrow, are there any large animal or farm vets near that you might be able to talk to, most of the coccidiostats are used in cattle especially. Do you have any UK chicken or pigeon boards or anything you could post on to see if anyone would have the right meds available you could use? I would be sure to keep them warm, dry and use some sort of electrolyte solution for their water

6. elliechooks

Jun 19, 2013
    UK
    Lost another 3 during the night but managed to get hold of some amprolium for pigeons this morning so hoping for a miracle turnaround now!
    Would you continue to give the baytril as well?

7. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear you've lost more chicks, hope the others turn around. In what form is the Baytril in, how are you supposed to give it to them? The amprolium you have is in liquid form that goes in the water? Would consider carefully force feeding any really sick ones a dose since there is a good chance they will not be drinking normally on their own. You have a heat lamp or something available for them to keep warm?

8. elliechooks

Jun 19, 2013
    UK
    We lost another earlier :(
    The amprolium is into the water and all of the chicks have been drinking it.
    I now have 3 that are just standing still looking sorry for themselves, make no effort to move if you touch them. The others are all acting normally - pecking at my hands inquisitively and squawking and flapping if I pick them up.
    The baytril was also to be given in water so I think I will leave that for now, and give it after the amprolium treatment is finished, if they still seem ill. Thanks for your support everyone, hopefully we have turned the corner - I've certainly learned a lot!

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You can also add warm medicated water to feed,so it resembles oatmeal,chicks love this and it is easier for the frail ones to eat.

10. elliechooks

Jun 19, 2013
    UK
    I was just candling eggs in the incubator so the light was off and a moth flew in to the brooder (light was on in there). One of the little ones caught it and ran around, some of the others chased. So funny!
    So it looks like some are feeling ok. I have not cleared anything out of the brooder for about 4 hours now and can see no obvious blood so either the amprolium really is working fast or the worst affected ones have all died. Either way, its looking good for the 7 that i have left!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by