1. veronicadm8

veronicadm8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Hello everyone,
    I have a very young chick- maybe 2 mos old- that has only been outside along with the other 2 it's being raised with for a few weeks- 3 at most. For a couple days it's been peeping very loudly pretty constantly and today I noticed red runny stool. I'm worried it's cocci. My question is, should I treat all my birds or just the 3 young ones?? The babies are on medicated feed and still separated from the adults, but we do let them out occasionally and watch them until all the birds seem ok with them. My other birds all seem very normal, no unusual behavior or poop. I am currently treating them all for scaly leg mites (such a pain!! tips for this would also be appreciated!! There has to be a better way than catching them all everyday- I have a lot of birds) Also, what should I treat cocci with? Thanks in advance!!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I personally would treat only the three young ones. The older birds are likely more resistant to it. However, if they begin to act sick, definitely treat them as well. It wouldn't hurt to treat them as well; I just wouldn't consider it to be neccesary. Do whatever you feel is right.

Definitely treat the young ones, though! Coccidiosis can kill rapidly if untreated. The best treatment for Coccidiosis is Corid, either the liquid or the powder. You should be able to find it at a feed store or local livestock supply store. It may be in the cattle section, not neccesarily the chicken section. The dosage for the Corid liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, given for 5-7 days. For the powder, it is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon, also given for 5-7 days. You should notice improvement by the third day.

3. veronicadm8

May 16, 2014

4. veronicadm8

May 16, 2014
    Thank you so much! If I do treat them all, do I need to stop eating the eggs for that time period?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No egg withdrawal when using Corid.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by