1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coccidia in 4 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amymboxer, Mar 22, 2016.

1. amymboxer

amymboxer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    I have 3 barred rock chicks that are 4 weeks old I bought from a local organic chicken farm and 6 others from tractor supply. The barred rocks are currently seperate except for a small amount of time they spent in an enclosed space with the others on a warm day. I have fostered many dogs and the older chicks seem to have some runny poos and smells foul like coccidia that happens in shelter dogs. Otherwise they appear healthy. I feel I need to treat them all. What is the best course of treatment for them?. Their brooders are completely cleaned out daily. They are on non medicated chick starter at the moment. The bigger chicks are in the garage in a large dog crate. The younger ones inside in a big bin with a heat lamp.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG]
    If you are indeed convinced that it's cocccidiosis (bloody poops, lethargy, etc.) treat their water with Corid or Sulmet (preferably Corid, it's easier on the bird's system and treats a wider variety of coccidia. You can get either of these at your local TSC) at the appropriate dose. Apple Cider Vinegar in their water is a natural remedy.

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your vet can check their droppings for the pressence of coccidia or worms. Most all chicken poop smells very bad once they are out on grass, LOL. Coccidiosis symptoms are standing around hunched, not eating, diarrhea with mucus or blood, and extreme weakness.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  4. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Haha you are right [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. amymboxer

amymboxer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    Thankyou. I may try the apple cider vinager first. They were on the lawn the other day in their little portable makeshift run. But the poop just has that coccidia odor to me and because I have fostered dogs and have done alot of ill animals and quarantine I watch carefully for those things. I will put them on medicated feed this week as well. Just the older chicks are stinker than the babies.

6. HI chicks

HI chicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2016
    Waimea Hawaii
    There's Molly's herbal wormer. I haven't had a problem since I started using it.. I also ferment garlic with EM*1 and acv. As soon as ANY weird thing starts to show I put a bit in the water and within a day or so it clears up. Here in Hawaii we don't have a die back period for worms or other internal perisites so we really have to be on it with the non stop rain we get. With my young ones I put the ferment in the water every other day. Today was our first semi dry day in 10 days or so.

7. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Always better to be safe than sorry! Hopefully the problems clear up soon.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by